Attacked by Raccoon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moosey109, Aug 26, 2010.

1. moosey109

moosey109 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    I lost 5 chickens to a raccoon but a day later one of my other chickens that was missing showed up out of no where. She seems fine with no cuts or anything but her top beak is broken but still on there. Its almost like a hang nail but better on and the bottom of her beak is fine. I feed her every day because she wont eat on her own and she seems to be her old self just not eating. Do the beaks continue to grow? I have been trying to figure out what to do about the beak, because if it grows then the breakage will grow out and if not... I had this horrible idea of cleaning it and super glueing it back together. Does this sound stupid? Any suggestions? (Its a little black silkie)

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would leave the top beak alone. I had an incident with 2 roos fighting thru a dog kennel, the one roo bonked his beak so bad it was just hanging there, blood everywhere I thought for sure I was gonna have to cull him. I cleaned the area up and hand fed him wet mash for a week or so. His beak never did fall off but it did shrink a bit. It healed itself without the glue.

3. moosey109

Oct 30, 2008
    Sounds good, I will leave it be. Is there anything that I should be feeding her that will help her heal faster? I give her gatorade so she doesn't get dehydrated and I sometimes mix that with her food so its a mush and feed her that too. Any other ideas?

4. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I heard you can use a dab of super glue on them. You just have to be careful not to glue up the nose.

5. moosey109

Oct 30, 2008
    Yea I just want to know if it will heal like a bone or if the crack will just grow out. I know their beaks grow which is why they file it down. But i just want to know how long

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Chicken beaks don't grow back. I have heard of an Eagle being fitted with a prosthetic and it epoxed on with success. You may want to try some epoxy on it before it gets damaged. Otherwise a life of being hand fed vs being put down.( per DUMMIES book) Sorry [​IMG]

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    They file it down to keep them from pecking each other in warehouses that keep them in too close confinement

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by