attacked by skunk, gangreen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynth, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    I don't think my rooster would get gangreen already in a day but he is definately bruised. He isn't using his leg now. I have him in a box with water and food. I told my hubby we probably should just kill him. What would you do? can he get rabies or something from fighting the skunk? could we eat a 16 week old rooster? Is it worth it? I feel I put so much feed into him. I know we can get more roosters no problem.
    Could somone please give me some advice???
    Cynth

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    skunks can carry rabies but I don't know about chickens

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:No ~ birds do not get rabies ~ only mammals get it.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I've heard of chicken bruises looking green.
    Rabies only affects mammals so your chook won't have it/catch it.
    Chickens can recover well from serious flesh wounds. Just keep it clean and maybe put him on some antibiotics.
    The only thing I'm worried about is that if he is being raised for meat, how heavy he is could affect his leg being able to heal...

Up to you though, it may not be worth it for him to suffer while healing, he probably won't put on weight as much as the other birds, when he's just going to be killed soon anyway. Unlike a laying hen or pet that would have a lot more life and usefulness to make up for the short spell of suffering.

5. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    thank you. he isn't particularly a meat bird but It is a chicken and I was taught to eat them. We really like him though.
    I kinda feel stupid not knowing the rabies thing. Thank you for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by