Attacked chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laly, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Laly

Laly New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    USA, FL
    Hello everyone! I am new here and happy to know I have all of you to help me.

I had two chickens, hand raised them and they are about a year old now. They were recently attacked by racoons and one was killed and the other one was in pretty bad shape, we honestly didn't think she was going to make it but she pulled through and is doing much better still recuperating but she can now walk and we started letting her back out about two days ago. My questions are; How long before she starts laying eggs again? And also I know she mourn her sister, but should I get her another companion or will she be OK by herself?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Post in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope your birds will be okay, when you go off line the ER folks(and everyone else) cannot reach you

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Yes, you do need to get her a buddy, she will get lonely without one. I am not sure exactly how long till she starts laying again, things like that, and they may never lay again. I am glad she pulled through though, and I hope you enjoy BYC!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us, but sorry that it is not under better circumstances. Its difficult to say when she will resume laying, but she would certainly be happier with a friend or two - only once she if fully recovered.

Best wishes
    CT

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard but sorry it is under these circumstances. I hope the ER folks are able to help you out. :)

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Looks like she went through a heck of a stress, could be a while before she lays again. Yes, get her some friends ASAP, chickens are social creatures.

8. urbanfowlmom

urbanfowlmom New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    hayward, CA.
    Yes, chickens are social creatures. It is not fair to isolate them. Chickens are a very real link between reptiles and mammals. Social, omnivorous, creatures of the forest floor. Treat them as such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by