attacked last night- lost wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PitterPatterPalace, Jul 7, 2010.

1. PitterPatterPalace

PitterPatterPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

We're very sad. Our 15.5wk old EE was somehow attacked overnight (there was a 1" opening in the coop/run). We were fortunate that no one else got hurt.
    We think it's a raccoon that got a bit of a meal. Right now we're in the car driving to the emergency bird vet. The birdMs in shock right now.

*sigh* we hope she'll pull thru :-(

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh poor thing. I'll bet she can survive with just one wing.........hoping she's ok!

Sharon

3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I hope she does OK !
    [​IMG]

I'm sure she can live with one wing - it's the shock and possibility of infection that I'd be worried about.

4. PitterPatterPalace

Well the vet is going to amputate the rest of the bone (that's left of the wing). He thinks she has a good shot at making it. We'll be crossing our fingers that th surgery goes ok

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, that's good to hear. I'll bet she'll recover just fine. Let us know how she's doing, OK?

Sharon

6. PitterPatterPalace

We'll let you know. Thanks for your support. We probably won't know for another 2 hr if she makes it out of surgery. I can pick her up at 4pm if all goes well!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope she makes it. I'm subscribing to the thread so I will know how it turns out. Fingers crosses. Poor baby

8. molly d

molly d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Poor thing! My fingers are crossed for her! [​IMG]

9. PitterPatterPalace

Yay! She made it through surgery! I just got home from picking her up. She looks much more perky and much happier (being gorked on pain meds). We're proud of her and so happy for the vet

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    fix the hole! fix the hole! if something got in once (i'm thinking something in the weasel family) then it'll get in again! i hope your hen makes a good (if not full) recovery and can live a good life without a wing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by