attacked pullet, am I treating correctly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiemom25, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Rockin Robin was attacked either last night or some time yesterday... When I saw her this morning her wing feathers looked tweaked for lack of a better term with a little dried blood. I investigated and found a bunch of down missing from under her wing and along the side of her body under the wing... The skin itself only looked broken on the wing bone itself but it was more like blood from where the remaining feathers were attached. I cleaned the area with peroxide and coated the area well with Blue Cote. She was NOT happy with me.

I separated her into a large dog crate outside with fresh bedding, water, lettuce and pellets.After an hour of walking around and squawking she laid down and has been quietly resigned to laying in the corner. She did lay an egg today after her trama. Should I keep her separated for a day to let her heal or put her back in the coop with her 2 sisters? Tonight I locked the girls in which I haven't done in MONTHS since the neighbor cats seem to patrol the backyard and keep the rat population in check. I figure it was a possum that did the damage and hope the other girls are ok tonight. I figure with 2 wings they are better able to defend themselves than Robin is with one....

Any suggestions appreciated....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should be able to put her back with her flock with the BluKote, as it masks blood, and hopefully the others will not bother her. If it were me, at this point I'd probably replace her in the morning, when i could watch them and make sure they did not attack her.

If you're concerned about the wound care, it's fine; really they just need cleaning and some monitoring, as you would with any wound. People use Neosporin, Betadine, plain soapy water or even just water -- it's not that significant what your treatment of choice is. BluKote has the advantage of being an antiseptic, plus discouraging others from bothering the wound. Just never use a topical med with a "caine" drug in it on a bird. Examples are cetacaine, benzocaine -- you get the idea, there are lots of drugs in that group, ending in -caine.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    thanks... I was more concerned her getting ants on the wound or dirt running around the yard. But I'll let her out in the morning with the others :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by