1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attacked

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starryeyes, May 14, 2009.

1. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    So we had this rooster who we had to seperate from the hens. He would attack them and draw blood. They were so freaked they would not leave there nest boxs. We tried everything free ranged him by himself for awhile put him with a different flock of hens same result. We even had to cage him for awhile as he would attack the kids if they came in the yard to feed the ducks. He was out with the ducks. I came to put feed out he was way across the yard. I had eggs in my hands. He blindsided me and started his attack I was screaming . I had nothen to defend myself with or nowhere to go. I threw the eggs at him by now i was bleeding and crying. He then jumped on my back i was hysterical by now. Hubby came runing i said thats it i cant take this anymore . Hubby took off after him with a pitch fork. Mean while blood was pouring out of my ankle i was shaking. I am not a fan of killing any animal unless to put on the table and had been raised for that. But he was just so mean and we tried everything . I can see this behavior if he was with a flock of hens he was in a yard that is a quarter acre of free range. We found out after we had purchased him and the flock he was a jungle fowl rooster. I am now on the couch with ice on my foot he put a hole in my ankle right over the tendent it hurts like crazy and bled like a stuck pig. I am sorry it came to this but i refuse to be afraid to go out and enjoy my hens and ducks. I have 5 other roosters that are sweet and mind there biz and do a wonderful job the ladies love them. My leason learned never turn your back on a mean animal.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry about your wounds! That's why I never keep a mean rooster. Just don't have the time to watch my back constantly. Ninja roos make good stews , I always say.

3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been keeping a six-week-old chick separate from her sisters for three weeks now because she chases them and pecks them constantly. I, like you, do not want my yard and garden to be a "war zone". I'm sorry you got hurt. I am beginning to believe that "mean" chickens should be put down so that they don't breed. I think you've done the right thing. Hope you heal quickly.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Don't be sorry. One reality of keeping livestock, including poultry is having to cull, deal with aggressives(IMO which should be dealt with by butchering) etc.

It is more a problem for people who more or less intend for chickens as pets- but honestly aggressive roosters simply aren't worth keeping plus aggression has a genetic basis. To let him breed would have passed on the aggression to some of the sons.

There are methods to discourage aggressive roos, however they work only on some roosters(on some it will work on them temporarily only to have him act up again eventually), and still does not deal with the aggressive genes.

That rooster sounds like a severe case, attacking hens is quite beyond 'mere aggression'. He needed to be put down anyways.

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I don't blame you for one second!!! I would have jerked him up when he attacked my kid!!! Zero tolerance for bad boys at my place, and my boys know it. They are perfectly behaved, and gentlemans to the ladies or off with their head!!!![​IMG]

6. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    After stern face to face warning of "you could be dinner tonight" that goes unheeded, its time to process. No second chances. You'll likely only run into more trouble.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Okay, that one is a little over the top, even if I do say so myself.
    Aggression is a good thing in a roo - manic, murderous intent is quite another.
    Better he's not part of the gene pool any lolnger.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    SO sorry about your leg!! Little bugger... Life is too short for mean roosters. Since ours 'took his final flight', it is amazing to see how much stress we had felt being outside with him on the prowl. (Would have been one thing if his aggression would have been directed at the fox that snatched three of my favorite hens from under his beak) It's really a relief to have some peace back. Nice roosters who do their jobs are treasured birds... Maybe you can find a farmer somewhere who will take him... or maybe there's a 1-800-Jungle Fowl Rescue [​IMG]

9. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I have a rooster who sat in my lap, ate from my hands, I raised him from about age 2 months til now and hes at least a year old....when I was leaving the pen after feeding them he jumped me from behind on my legs and gave me a real scare, since then I have been carrying a long stick in the pen with me just in case, luckly he hasn't hurt me yet but I have found that he challenges me occationally and of course he gets whopped with that stick. Now most of the time as long as I have my stick he will stay back but once in a while he trys to challenge me even through the fence. Will he ever improve? He is a NHRed?

10. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Wow! That's terrible. I vote that he becomes the main ingredient in some soup to aid your recovery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by