Attacked!!!!

molly

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 4, 2008
I went outside to round up my chickens and I turn around and one of my roosters is behind me. he then proceeds to start flapping his wings and charging me. I knew not to turn my back on him so I slowly sidestepped away from him. He is an Easter Egg layer. Are these roosters aggressive. I have children and I cant have them getting attacked.

Many will say this breed or that breed produces tame/aggressive roosters. Simply it comes down to the rooster itself. If you are getting attacked that one needs to go, especially if you have children.

My Americana Rooster is almost a year old, and for the first time, he jumped on my head and either did his stomp or pecked me. At any rate, my forehead has a gash. He has never done this before. Should I show him whose boss and take a stick with me into the coop, or get rid of him?

My bantam silkie rooster attacked me for the first time today also. So far today he has rushed me and attacked 4 times. He is small so it is quite humorous but still, he's being a little jerk. It's quite fitting, his name is Napoleon! I kicked at him just t get him to leave me alone. He wouldn't let me get the eggs. I'm interested in what I should do also. So glad he didn't go after my head. My husband would kill him.

My husband told me to find another home for him by the weekend. I don't want to because he has become a pet. I just don't know if this will be part of his norm now. I was gathering eggs too, but I did look him in the eyes when he jumped up on his perch and looked into my glasses. Maybe he saw his reflection, and thought I was a predator. I'm glad you're ok.

I have a very short tolerance policy for aggressive roosters. Our Blue Orpington rooster, Turk, is a gentle giant and has never even looked sideways at a human. On the other hand, my sister's Buff Orpington rooster (ironically also named Napoleon!) had a 'tude from day one. We turned his behavior around by doing the following: when he started charging us, as a "teenager", we would swoop down and scoop him up and hang him upside down by the legs. It's not rough and it's not painful or dangerous; it merely totally incapacitates and confuses him. We'd hold him out at arm's length, because he'd flap mightily at first, and then just hang there looking embarrassed. 8 or 10 seconds, not long. Once he was put right on his feet, he'd hurry away and it'd be some time before he did it again. Mind you, my sister raised her chicks in the house and handled ALL of them, including this guy.
We thought he'd been "cured", as it was months since his last challenge, and she walked among them every day. One day she bent over to do something and Napoleon launched himself through the air at her face, and sank his spur THROUGH her cheek next to her mouth. Luckily I'm next door and can suture :[ As soon as the dressing was on, Napoleon went to freezer camp.

Mine attacked me 3 more times today. The last time I was in the coop getting the rest of the eggs and he came in and attacked over and over. I finally kicked him, not hard but firm, and he missed the door opening a bit and hit the wall. He shook himself off and ran away. He didn't get near me the rest of the day. At least I ended the day the winner. Hopefully he knows who is the boss for now. Good luck.

Wow--three more times!! I'm glad he didn't get you! I did go into the coop area last night to get eggs, but I went in with a rake in my hand. They all stay away from the rake. I guess I'll just be ready if he should try to jump me again. Thanks for posting.

Having an aggressive rooster is a recipe for disaster... I simply will not tolerate it and its a short trip to the freezer for any animal who shows any human aggression... Our grandsons ages 3 and 5 are here a lot on the weekends and I could not imagine one of my babies getting hurt by an animal. This question comes up a lot on the forum and it amazes me what folks will tolerate... I am not trying to be harsh or hateful so let me apologize first, but how can anyone call an animal a pet that not only attacks but attacks so viciously that it opens a wound? Sorry, seems like a no brainer to me, there are good roosters and bad, I have had a bad and he taught my family a lesson, it just aint worth it.. I do own roosters now with no problems... We even culled a very nice looking female rabbit we were hoping to use for breeding, but she was a biter... I have owned a lot of them and have never or since had one that aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom