attacking roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenvirgin, May 23, 2010.

1. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    Our Roo is awesome with the hens, he protects them and gives them all the good treats, but he very agressive toward us. He attacked my DH and his spur went through his pants, his leather work boots, his socks and deep enough into his ankle to draw blood. I am wondering if anyone has glued anything on their roosters spurs to dull them. We are thinking of white glueing electrical marettes( the red and black caps that fit onto live electrical wires) on to his spurs so at least if he attacks he won't draw blood. So what do you think.....Good idea or not?

2. RIVERRAT

RIVERRAT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    WASHINGTONBORO
    Squirt Him With Hose

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It wouldn't hurt to try.

I'd butcher one that acted like that though. There are too many roos out there that are good protectors and don't feel the need to attack every human that comes by to put up with a mean one. I spend a lot of time out in the field/barn area with the chooks and other livestock and don't want to always have to be on alert for a sneak attack by a nasty roo.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Grind the points off of his spurs with a grinder if you really want to keep him. If you have small children, I would put him in the crockpot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by