Attacking Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I Love My Chkns, Mar 12, 2017.

1. I Love My Chkns

I Love My Chkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My rooster has been atacking me and I need help. So far I have kept him in the coop while I let the other chickens out but he deserves to come out at some point. He usually attacks me by batting his legs at me. I'm considering letting my friend adopt him but I am worried he might attack her and if his attacks can be stopped I would prefer to keep him.
    Thanks for the advise!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Eat him!

3. I Love My Chkns

Mar 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I would prefer not to, he is very nice to most people, just not me for some reason.

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Most roosters just keep getting meaner. Some people say hold them down. Some say chase them around the yard. All that has ever worked for me is the crock pot.

5. brucifer

brucifer Chillin' With My Peeps

OP, you need to become the dominant rooster. That means control his access to food and the hens, and do not allow him to challenge you without him losing the challenge. Once he gets the understanding that you're the dominant rooster, you should be good to go. You two will not be friends, but he will respect you.

There are some very good threads on BYC that explain in detail just how to go about it.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can we see a current picture of him and you holding him? This will give a handle on your relative dispositions.

8. I Love My Chkns

Mar 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    He probably won't let me pick him up, he will peck my face, shoulders and hands[​IMG]

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    For me that says a lot. Put on some jeans and a heavy long sleave shirt, then go out and pick him up as he attacks. Hold him gently. Let him peck and bite until he tires. When he tires, move your free arm so he can resume. At some point he will tire of it. Then put him down. And repeat if he comes after you again. Do not recoil / retreat from his attacks, nor do you act aggressively to him. I would avoid looking directly at him during this. Watch your face.

You may not be able to break this one but it will give you the confidene needed to prevent much of the same problem with subsequent roosters.

I will attempt to put my advice in context. I have more roosters than most people will have chickens during their entire poultry keeping career. Working around them without complications has been a priority.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  10. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    You need to establish dominance. One other reply suggested gently "hog tying" him until he gets tired of pecking you. If you do that, you will have to do it many times until he catches on it is useless. That is called "extinction" in conditioning. However, some animals (and people) do a bad behavior for self stimulating behavior (to get their jollies). If that is the case he will not stop. He could injure your eyes. You better hope he does not do it to a guest or somebody else or you could be in trouble. Put a radio in the coop they like music. That calms some of them. I had one that would attack everybody but me. He learned I would swat him with a broom. Your rooster has to learn you are the boss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by