1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attacking Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennH07, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    I have a rooster that used to be a love, I could hold him and cuddle him and everything. Now he has started chasing my son and attacking him(he's only 6 years old and now terrified of the dumb bird, wont go out side of the chicks are out), and now he attacks everyone, including me. You have to constantly watch your back around him because you never know when he will strike. Is this normal for a rooster, he's probably 10 months old. What do you do with a roo like this??? Eat him??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

3. JennH07

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Oh I stand my ground when he does this or chase him around, but he stands his ground too and comes back at you with he feet first. What exactly is Hazing?

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hassle him a little. I follow him around and prevent him from going where he wants or doing what he wants. Keeping him away from the girls or the food sends a powerful message. I usually do this for less than a minute. Sometimes, when he gives me the crazy chicken eye, I will abandon slow walking toward him for a fast jump toward him and more persistent following at a faster pace.

5. JennH07

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Thank you!!!!!!! I read your blog too and will try all these things. I will TRY to get my son to do thesese things too, but I don't have much hope for him, he just wants to eat Buck the roo. He begs me to "Put him in the pot". LOL

6. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    Roosters will attack kids that age. My daughter is 5 years old and my rooster better not dare try it!! However when she get close to him he does his lil dance and have chase her in the yard but not attacking her. Now as for you.......hummm I was told to hold them for 30 min. I have not had that to happen to me so I can't tell you if this really works.

7. JennH07

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    HUH!!! Hold him, I will have to try that if I can catch him. It's amazing how fast they are!!

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The holding you rooster thing never worked for me but I heard it does for many people. If he stands his ground, then that's your chance to grab him!

9. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    I had this problem too, with a HUGE 4.5 Kg Amrock. He attacked my daughter 3 years old at the time and my girlfriend a couple of times.

I ended up making myself the biggest cockerel by puffing out my chest and chasing him away, if he did try to come at me I'd raise my foot when he raised his feet and give him a little kick so he's fall backwards and them chase him off.

In the end though he just didn't learn to leave my daughter alone so we ended up eating him.

10. JennH07

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    LOL I'm afraid that we may have to eat him too. He really stands his ground and gets ticked. My son hates him, runs screaming like a girl all over the place, and now all he wants is to eat him. I have chased him Buck the Roo all over the yard with a stick, but lately he is getting more and more bold. I have listed him on craigslist.com, a free meal for some one, seeing how he is a BO and huge. Still not sure how my daughter would handle eating him so I am willing to try anything at this point. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by