attacking roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by solitude, Jun 9, 2011.

1. solitude

solitude Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Do most cocks eventually end up attacking children even when they seem gentle in the beginning?

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have heard of roos who end up flogging kids when the roos reach maturity. I have heard of some people who've had good luck with having the kids swat them with a broom when they attack and some for whom that did not work.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't know if I'd say "most" of them, but it does happen quite frequently according to the posts I see on here.

4. Pinkychick

Pinkychick Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Hi! I am having the same problem. My rooster tried to kill my youngins. I had to separate them. Will try to put them back together when the rooster is matured a little. He is 4 and a half months old. My youngins are 3 months old. Hopefully he stops doing that or he is bye bye. O! I mis read thought you meant young chicks. heehee oh well! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Quote:I started to get a bit concerned here LOLOL! I was thinking to myself "I hope she's not taking babies into the run with her. I mean, I understand early integration with children and animals, but wow!!" Glad I read further!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by