Attacking weak pullet

jjared

Chirping
May 21, 2017
I have 7 pullets that are about 23 weeks old. My black sexlink has a crippled foot and is very small; she looks like a 12-13 week old. She is extremely timid and doesn't mix with the flock, won't leave the coop without my help, and hides under the feeder, wheelbarrow, or just tries to tuck her head under a board in the pen or when free-ranging. A couple of the pullets just attack her relentlessly, adding to her trepidation. She is so terrified, I don't think she has any quality of life. Given her growth, I doubt she'll ever lay eggs, and will end up as a pet. I've considered putting her down, simply to alleviate her misery, but I really like her. Thoughts?

It is a natural instincts to attack any odd acting, or weak bird, especially at the age of your girls who are sexually maturing, which brings about moodiness and a bit more propensity for aggression.

You could cull, or you could try separating her out within your coop or run. She may change with better access to feed, and not being constantly stressed by the harassment. Sometimes after all birds sexually mature and are laying more normal everything calms down, and your weaker hen might gain confidence.

It all depends on how you view or think of your birds. Are they purely livestock with a need for production, or are they more pets, or even in between. Everyone develops a different management system, some favor the weak, some cull the weak.

I personally would separate her out for a bit within sight and see how she does, but it's your flock and your decision. There's no right answer.

Last edited:
How much square footage do your pullets have access to every day? Often-times, chickens attack their roomies because they feel the need to compete for space. Black/gold sex links are definitely a wide foraging breed so they need plenty of space. They are more prone to having issues with a lack of space than all the other breeds I have owned...
If she appears to be continually miserable, with a poor quality of life, I would try re-homing her or, as a last resort, euthanization.
I would love to adopt your little Sexlink if I could... Most of my chickies are 3+ yrs and mellow. I also have had quite a few special needs ones... :) However, I am not sure if that is realistic considering that we could live in different countries or on different ends of the US...

How much square footage do your pullets have access to every day? Often-times, chickens attack their roomies because they feel the need to compete for space. Black/gold sex links are definitely a wide foraging breed so they need plenty of space. They are more prone to having issues with a lack of space than all the other breeds I have owned...
If she appears to be continually miserable, with a poor quality of life, I would try re-homing her or, as a last resort, euthanization.
I would love to adopt your little Sexlink if I could... Most of my chickies are 3+ yrs and mellow. I also have had quite a few special needs ones... :) However, I am not sure if that is realistic considering that we could live in different countries or on different ends of the US...
What a gem you are, being willing to adopt my lil' girl. Thank you for that. My girls' coop is 80 square feet, two runs each of 240 square feet, and I usually let them free range in the morning and again at night, so space is not an issue. My girl doesn't free range much; when I put her out, she runs to the nearest object to hide under and at night, she won't/can't roost. Currently she's hiding under the lawn mower in my goat barn. :( My biggest concern is winter, when the girls probably won't leave the coop much. I've considered putting her in a dog kennel inside the coop, but she'd have very little space then, and I'd feel terrible. I just want her to have a good quality of life. BTW....Idaho.

It is a natural instincts to attack any odd acting, or weak bird, especially at the age of your girls who are sexually maturing, which brings about moodiness and a bit more propensity for aggression.

You could cull, or you could try separating her out within your coop or run. She may change with better access to feed, and not being constantly stressed by the harassment. Sometimes after all birds sexually mature and are laying more normal everything calms down, and your weaker hen might gain confidence.

It all depends on how you view or think of your birds. Are they purely livestock with a need for production, or are they more pets, or even in between. Everyone develops a different management system, so favor the weak, some cull the weak.

I personally would separate her out for a bit within sight and see how she does, but it's your flock and your decision. There's no right answer.
Suggestions for separating her in the coop? I've considered a large dog kennel, as my coop is 80 square feet and I have the space, but I'd feel bad leaving her in there. I'm gone during the day and want her to be safe. Am most concerned with winter coming, thinking of the girls in the coop some days and her having nowhere to escape to.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

You already got GREAT advice. :highfive:

Sad how harsh the reality of flock dynamics are. And it might get worse. :(

I might try the temporary separation still in sight while allowing a chance to grow. Just a little peace and a chance to gain some confidence is a lot different than a bird that can't make it to feed or needs diapers changed.

If it were a long term heavily special needs than I would cull, for sure. I don't have the time or energy and it wouldn't be fair to the bird.

You might include a bird with her that doesn't beat her up for company. Some of my birds have pet status and will get the extra help while most others are livestock. I will put some effort and time into saving each one.

I personally have NO room and ZERO tolerance for bullies... so I would probably separate THOSE ones! :mad: Though what they are doing is completely normal.

Rehoming is an option, to the right home. That might be a good idea... for the bullies! :tongue Seriously though for the poor girl.

I definitely would cull before allowing it to continue in that fashion. Hard decision, I know. :hugs

Hoping for a great outcome. :fl

How long has her foot been crippled for and how did it get that way, out of curiosity? As well as noting that limping is one sign of Marek's.

What a gem you are, being willing to adopt my lil' girl. Thank you for that. My girls' coop is 80 square feet, two runs each of 240 square feet, and I usually let them free range in the morning and again at night, so space is not an issue. My girl doesn't free range much; when I put her out, she runs to the nearest object to hide under and at night, she won't/can't roost. Currently she's hiding under the lawn mower in my goat barn. :( My biggest concern is winter, when the girls probably won't leave the coop much. I've considered putting her in a dog kennel inside the coop, but she'd have very little space then, and I'd feel terrible. I just want her to have a good quality of life. BTW....Idaho.

That is a lot closer than I would have thought! :p I am in Oregon... :D I actually Lived in several different parts of Idaho... I was born there. :) I can definitely see how winter would be a big issue... it gets cold in ID + if she doesn't/can't roost, she will have trouble keeping warm via the other chickens body heat. :(

Suggestions for separating her in the coop? I've considered a large dog kennel, as my coop is 80 square feet and I have the space, but I'd feel bad leaving her in there. I'm gone during the day and want her to be safe. Am most concerned with winter coming, thinking of the girls in the coop some days and her having nowhere to escape to.
Here's one of my separation pens where I have housed birds long term and they seem fine in it, it's approximately 3x4.

Last edited:
Here's one of my separation pens where I have housed birds long term and they seem fine in it, it's approximately 3x4.

View attachment 1127908

I have a similar, small run for sick or injured chickens... :) I also use it to raise chicks + introduce chickens. Your's is a close size to mine (mine is 4"x 5", I think). It has been amazingly useful. Especially if it is being used as a chicken tractor (moved when the ground is scratched up), the chickens love it. In fact, they have such fond memories of being spoiled in that thing, they like to hang out in it when it is empty. :p

Geesh, my goof balls like to hang out in theirs (previous tractor) too! :p

I had it set up for brooder chicks only to have broody and her babes come try to take over. :rolleyes:

I take it as a compliment. :D

I use a small (lrg size) dog kennel for my quarantine (sold on amazon w/ 2 doors and folding 4 storage). It is about 2x3 and has been worth it weight in gold in terms of usefulness. I use it for rearing chicks, breaking broody's (bottom removed and wired), transporting, behavioral time outs, on and on... And it's big enough for my 65 # dogs should the need arise. Though the wire sides don't hold shavings or very small chicks well. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom