1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

attacks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by insanity, Jan 24, 2013.

1. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I see alot of coon,fox, hawk,ect. attacks on here. Are they that common? I'm new to chickens but have raised rabbits,sheep and other small animals for years and never an incident with wild predators.The neighbors dogs came visiting twice but that was solved quickly.We have golden and bald eagles, owls ,foxes in the area.And recently mountain lions and even a wolf was spotted nearby.
    My mastiff roams the property and but my garden/run fence isn't netted. So my security isn't that tight.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Everything loves the taste of chicken.
    Locking them inside a predator proof coop at night helps a lot. Your mastiff will help too as long as he doesn't start chasing and killing them.
    Free ranging birds are most vulnerable.
    I've lost 4 freedom rangers to hawks in the last 3 weeks.
    Over the years I've lost the most to dogs, then opossums, coons, fox, coyotes, cats in that order.

3. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Mine have a coup for night but they free roam my 2/3 acre garden all they want.I don't lock the hen house at night so they come and go at will. The dog is herd bonded to the birds so they are safe from her.She was the one who cured the neighbors dog. But she couldn't stop a eagle or wolf....I don't think.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When really hungry almost any predator will take a chicken but eagles normally won't go after them unless they can't find other food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by