Attempt to post pics of my chickies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thndrdancr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok, this will be my first try to post pics of my 3 chicks, 2 ee's, and one red sex link. Fandango, my lil grasshopper, as I affectionately call her, jumps like a mad thing, and is the one with the crooked beak and the feather sticking straight out of her wing. She also has slight ear muff thingies and no tail. A gorgeous chick she is not, but full of personality. Sis says she looks like an ostrich! I call her grasshopper cuz I will tell her "Jump" and she will jump on whatever I tell her to no matter how far or how high up, she will attempt it. She is just darling, but now less than 1/2 size of the others.
    My red sex link, had loads of personality to begin with, but now has just settled into being a chicken. Havent really named her definitively yet. In this picture, when she was younger, looks like she is saying..."I DIDNT DO IT"...make that mess, that is..." ha She is scared to fly or jump anywhere becuz the first night I had her, she fell/jumped off the stove and hurt herself. I think she dislocated a wing and sprained a toe badly, nothing life threatening but scared the bejeebers out of her apparently. At almost 4 weeks now, she wont even attempt a two foot flight.
    My other ee, she is developing personality, but she eats everything, not poo tho. I caught her eating sticks in the yard yesterday. Funny thing, one of the other chicks messed while they were running around chasing each other, and she came to a skidding halt to avoid it on the slick linoleum, and then couldnt quite do so, so made this crazy lil leap to jump over it. She hates being dirty, she even likes me to clean her feet before I let her out to play in the kitchen. I am leaning toward calling her Miss Fussbudget, but Indigestion might be a good name too. [​IMG]
    Boy do I have it bad.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Sorry, made the pics so big, and the one is a bit blurry, but you get the idea of her beauty. Had to bump them for you all to see, since I posted so late last night.

Funny thing is, that is the only chick I actually "picked out", she didnt have the crooked beak then. She was the only chick that looked UP at me, out of about 500, most of them scattered to the other side of the tubs, but none of them actually looked up at my face but her. She still does it, too.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwww, she is a cutie!! Does she seem to eat ok? I have never personally had a crooked beak chicken, and I would just be so worried it would have troubles eating. They are all beautifull.....but like you, I think the little Fandango is sweet!

4. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I worry bout her, as she does take an awfully long time to "fill up" like two hours...and I have to make sure she has a deep dish, I feel so bad for her when she is trying to pick somethin up flat off the ground like the others, she just doesnt quite understand WHY she cant pick it up. Yes, I think thats why her size is so small.
    She is so tame tho, I let her jump in the feed bag and she just loves me for it.
    She was soooo busy eating yesterday, I thought I would just let her go ahead and eat while I slipped out an took hubby to work (20 minutes). I came home and she was frantic, wandering the kitchen and crying and she wouldnt leave my side for a second, followed me to the bathroom, the bedroom, back to the kitchen crying like "you left me, you left me..."

I call her Fandango cuz she scratches like no chicken you have ever seen. I mean she scratches til she has no food left in the bowl, the lil devil. She does it so much, it looks like dancing, so cute but such a MESS!

I meant beauty sarcastically. haha NOW she has some wing feathers coming in on top of her wings, instead of feathering so much of other part, so now she looks like a combo of an ostrich and Batman!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chicks are very sweet! [​IMG]
    I have to suggest that you keep an eye on Fandango, I too have an Ameraucana chick that developed a crossed-beak (started out straight) and it's only grown worse and worse. It's starting to dislocate her jaw now, and I'm afraid there's not much I can do for her. I don't meant to scare you, but you might find it useful. Here's hoping Fandango won't get any worse! [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2127

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Yep, keeping an eye on her and closely following your and Jimaginations posts.
    Lively bee gave me hope with her crossed beak chicken tho. [​IMG]
    She IS now about 1/3 of the size of the others and cries a lot. She is still goin poo, (just lil ones tho) so not sure how much she is getting. I have tried feeding her all kinds of things, she is just not ready yet, altho...she WAS able to swallow a small earthworm and boy did it make her happy. Probably the most she was able to eat at one time ever, she thot!
    I still think there should be a beak brace for these babies! lol

7. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Cuties!!! I love the picture of the red sex link.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by