1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attempted Chick Suicide

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunChick, Apr 15, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Just like an earlier post, I had one decided to soak himself in the water. [​IMG]
    When I found it, it appeared like it had gotten stuck somehow, wrapped around the waterer and it was chilled and weak. Grabbed it out, dried it with a hair dryer and have it on a heating pad wrapped in a towel. Gave it some sugar water too. We are peeping, but I have no idea if it aspirated. If it did I know its bye bye. This was a 2 week old chick that was very active....very strange. Everyone else is trying out their wings and hopping like popcorn. No marbles in my waterer since these kiddos are pretty big now and were staying away. Cross your fingers, but it doesn't look good. [​IMG]

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Yikes. Mine took a swim today too. Hope your peep is OK! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    At 2 weeks they are still small enough that maybe if they were drinking and someone stood on them, they got stuck in the waterer? [​IMG] When mine were that little, they would walk right over one another...I was so worried, I think I left the marbles in until they were 4 weeks old lol [​IMG]

Hope both of your chickies are alright. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    4 hrs later after staying in a towel with heating pad he was very active again! regurgitated some water, but we'll see in the morning....[​IMG]

5. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    whoohoo! we were ok this morning and this afternoon still going strong! What a comeback! Silly birds...I think he was on the bad side of a dunking...

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    So glad it turned out OK!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by