Attempted rescue gone bad

Flowerchik

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 22, 2012
This morning my Husband and I picked up about 30 quail and two hens(my first turkeys) this morning from a fellow that was moving and needed his birds gone in a hurry. None of the pens had food or water and I am not sure how long they had been without, but they were definitely hungry and thirsty birds. The only bird that would not eat was a blue slate hen. Unfortunately she died in my arms this evening. I am really heartbroken even though I didn't even get a chance to get to know her. I am questioning my decision to take her in, could have the stress from the move to my home this morning killed her? Was the lack of water and food combined with the stress of the move more than she could handle? Does this just happen with turkeys sometimes? She looked kind of rough, her tail feathers were really ratty. I try to make sure that any animal that I bring to my home experiences a significant improvement from their prior living situation. The last thing I want is for the change to kill them.

Thanks. I hope that is what it was, not something we did. I just do not understand how folks can let an animal go without food or water. It really hurts my heart! I am happy to report that the other hen seems to be doing fine for now. She follows the chickens around and is eating well. She even ate some salad with mustard greens and apples that all of the birds had this morning.
smile.png

Do not blame yourself. You tried to give her a good home. The insensitive person
somad.gif
you got her from sounds like he let her get so dehydrated, she just could not survive. Whenever I order day old poults that have to be shipped, I give them Vitamins and electrolytes in their drinking water as soon a I get them, to help ease the stress of shipping. With an older hen, it might have helped, but only if you could get her to drink in the first place. I have also heard of using a few drop of food color in a chick's water to help teach them to learn to drink, but I prefer to use some brightly colored marbles in the bottom of the waterer to attract them to drink.
Do not let this one experience stop you from rescuing abandoned animals, there are a lot of them out there that need a good home and we need more caring people like you to give them a decent chance. God Bless You !!
hugs.gif

We are a rescue and it is amazing what humans do or don't do to their animals. We recently rescued a blue slate from a 3 x 3 pen. His feet were burned from his urine and his feathers were all broken. The stress of catching, caging, transporting him and then letting him go into his new home was almost too much. Without water/food their organs begin to shut down and sometimes no matter what we do they die. They do get extremely stressed. It's better she died in your arms than in that horrible place. Thumbs up to you not many people would even try. Good luck and God Bless. The others are so lucky you found them.

Thank you for the kind replies. The other turkey seems to be doing great, she comes out every afternoon with the chickens to free range, loves to dust bathe, has figured out I am a source of good treats and has picked her spot out in the coop to roost every night. She also does a fine job at picking muscadines! She is truly a joy to watch. We have named her Gertie. Gertie isn't going to be a meat bird, she can just live her life out as a pet. You are right about how crazy it is the way some folks treat animals! Controversial subject for some, but we hunt with dogs and I am just appalled at how some hunters treat their dogs. It literally makes me sick. We have refused to join a club before because of some of the behavior allowed.....but back on topic, we love our girl already and will spoil her.

Back
Top Bottom