1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attempting Bumblefoot surgery...again....advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SassyKat6181, Dec 9, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    The hen is not getting any better. I wasn't able to dig anything out from the pad of her foot and it all appeared to be healthy tissue when I removed the scab. There is a really hard area between two of her toes and I think that may be where the problem is. I read on here that someone has gone in through the top of the foot.....anyone with advice on how to do it that way? Thanks

2. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    do you have a pic you could post?

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I just worked on my Calif White, here is the pic of her foot:
    [​IMG]

after we did the surgery...she wasn't really any better....that was last week...now her foot is not bothering her as much, walking without the limp.
    But I compared the other hens feet to hers, they all look the same!

Its like I just removed a callus...they all have...was it really bumblefoot, now I wonder!

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have you tried re-opening the scab and pushing the hard stuff down through to the scab or is that impossible?

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I've never performed this surgery, but I have read that the white stuff is a hard puss and should be cleaned out before you close up with a bandage. Perhaps what you are seeing is just the hard white puss?

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    This is what I saw once I removed the scab. No pus, or hard stuff.....just pink healthy tissue. The swelling has not gone down between her middle and left toe.....this is where the hard spot is that I can feel. I think that the plug is deeper than I can reach through the pad. I may have a better chance at getting it if I go through the toe area.
    [​IMG]

7. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Oh man. Poor girl! I agree that if you haven't found a plug yet, it is likely just hiding deeper within the tissues. I would try for the hard bump between the toes. Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by