Attention All Rabbit Owners...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickhopeful12, Jan 10, 2010.

1. chickhopeful12

chickhopeful12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    CT
    Help! Would anyone know the breed of this rabbit? She is 6 mos. old and we just got her yesterday. I was thinking a Havana. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickygirl55

Chickygirl55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Actually she looks exactly like my female rabbit. I think they told me she was a netherland dwarf but Idk for sure.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Netherland Dwarf, pet quality, but very cute!

4. chickhopeful12

Oct 8, 2008
    CT
    Thanks so much for your responses. Can you tell me anything else about the breed? [​IMG]

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    She looks like a pet quality Dwarf to me too.

I've been breeding them for about 20 years. What do you want to know?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. chickhopeful12

Oct 8, 2008
    CT
    I was wondering about temperment and if they are good for first time rabbit owners like ourselves. We are not interested in breeding her or anything. Thanks so much again!

7. Chickygirl55

Chickygirl55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    If she is anything like mine she will be mellow and laidback lol Mine is friendly but she likes to sit there while i pet her lol.

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Temperament. Hmm! Well, it's risky to make generalizations, because there are always exceptions. Most rabbits are fine with petting, but aren't keen on being picked up. Most learn to tolerate it, and some even get to liking it, eventually. Most of the Dwarfs I've handled have been more on the high-energy end of the rabbit scale. We have one that used to pace the front of his cage all day - we called him the Energizer bunny! He was an extreme example, most aren't that wound up. I have known only a few genuinely vicious rabbits, and they were unfortunately all Netherland Dwarfs. On the other side of the coin, some of the sweetest rabbits I have handled have been Dwarfs, too. My daughter is my #1 bunny wrangler, and several of her favorites in the rabbitry are Netherland Dwarfs. There are a couple (does, particularly) that she steers clear of, as well. I knew one Dwarf that was "best buds" with a Yorkie! I think, "a lot of character in a small package" pretty much sums the Dwarf up.

They may be the smallest rabbit breed, but Netherland Dwarfs are not supposed to be fragile. They are meant to be sturdy, solid, compact little animals. The breed standard allows a one-and-one-half pound minimum adult weight for show purposes. It seems that some people are always trying to see just how small they can make them. I have seen one pound adult Dwarfs, but they looked dainty to me. Because of their short faces, malocclusions (badly aligned teeth) are a little more common in Dwarfs, so this may be something you need to check. Other than that, this breed is as healthy as any other breed, when fed and housed properly. I usually don't recommend a Dwarf for a family with small children, because it seems like little ones are always wanting to pick the bunny up. Without very careful supervision, this could result in painful scratches for the child, and possibly fatal injuries to the rabbit! Larger rabbits are a little more intimidating, small children are more likely to be satified with just petting them. That is really the only reason I would steer people away from Dwarfs in general.

Looks like your girl is making herself at home![​IMG]

9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What does she weigh? judging by the tile size (12 inch by 12 inch) I wouldnt think dwarf at all.
    Fur has too much sheen for the dwarf breed, chances are she is a mini satin. thats what the fur quality says to me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by