!!!attention All Silkie Color Experts Please Click Here!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Wolf Queen, May 18, 2010.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    In my last hatch of silkies I only had 4 hatch and 1 (possibly 2) are a color that I have no idea on. The parents are a Splash roo over Blue, Splash, and Black hens so I know to expect only blues and splashes but this little guy is in between so is he light blue, dark splash, or something else?
    Thanks, the Queen
    [​IMG]
    and this is the comparison between it, a regular blue, and a regular splash. Sorry the pics are so bad but it was spurt of the moment with my cellphone.
    [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am no silkie expert - do not even have any - but that chick looks blue to me. The picture of the three, they look : black, blue and splash.

I know black over splash should not produce black - but I have had it happen with my rosecombs. I had two roos - one splash and one black - my hen was splash and she produced three black chicks. Or maybe my black is so dark blue to look black? [​IMG]

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    No im possitive I dont have any black chicks(Ive have them before). Its just a really crappy pic [​IMG] Thanks though.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The chick in question is a blue.

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Yep that chick is a blue chick, and look at that crest.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It's def. blue with a vaulted skull. The other one is probably just a darker blue and the light one is a splash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by