Attention all Texas Coast Members

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cheri, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    A friend of my moms, who is in the Natl. Guard, called her and told her that Gov. Perry has ordered them to come to the Texas Coast towns. Now this is not for Aron, but for Dean. Dean is supposed to hit us Monday with widespread flooding. So if you are in a flood zone please prepare yourselves. I just spent 30 minutes in the rain trying to get my babies in their coops. Rowdy and Foggy wouldn't go in with the girls but Rocky sure did. Now about Gov. Perry it is not public knowledge yet but her friend wanted us to be prepared. When Rita hit it was supposed to hit us head on, but it missed us. So please be careful. I would hate to lose any of you. You are my chicken family [​IMG] and I hope one day to meet you all. [​IMG] :aww [​IMG]

edited because I can't spell!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yes, please.....start makeing plans NOW for your animals. So many are lost due to last minute planning, and regretfully they have to be left behind. Be safe all of you out there, in Texas.

3. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    I heard that if need be Galveston may be offering companion buses so that people can be reunited with their pets. Isn't that nice? I hope it can work out. Me Im not going anywhere. I left for Rita and it was a nightmare!! 17.5 hours to make a 2 hour trip. It took us 3 hours to get to our town which is only 6 miles away!!

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Make sure your family is safe and prepared, and THEN start worrying about your pets.

I hope everyone's ready; be careful!

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Prays for you all .lots of them.

6. catballou24

catballou24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i hope everyone is okay! any forcast on hurricane dean? please be safe!!!!

7. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    OMG! We have been getting SLAMMED here in San Antonio all day. It's been going like this: heavy rain, light rain, heavy rain, light rain, INSANELY heavy rain...... I'm not sure it ever came to a full stop and it's still raining. We just got flooded a couple weeks ago...now Erin blows in....then Dean will be here. That is a LOT of rain. I'm afraid that I'm going to go out one day and my chickens will be quacking at me. On the bright side, all the rain has cooled it down a bit. Why doesn't this rain go where it's truely needed?

You know, I forgot to mention the 40+ (at the last count I hear) high water rescues today. Why do people insist on driving through high water?!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  8. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    not to brag egg........but we have had light showers. Dean is supposed to make landfall around Wed. right now he is a CAT 2 and is supposed to be a 4 before he hits. I ain't going nowhere. He is supposed to hit anywhere right now between Mexico and the Louisana Border.

FamilyofChickens: Yes that is true, but you must remember that to some people their pets are as important as their families. [​IMG]

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I wish we would get some rain here, not the kind you're getting in Texas but some soaking rain. We in NC are experencing record highs and we have'ent seen any rain in weeks, the news is full of towns with water shortages. May God keep and protect you all, you are in my prayers.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  10. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey everyone,

Here are some pictures from our local newspaper that show what we were putting up with here in San Antonio yesterday. My side of town didn't get quite this much rain. These pictures are pretty much from the south side of town which got anywhere from 7-12 inches of rain! We probably got around 5 or so where I'm at on the northeast side of town.

Water rushes over a SUV at a culvert on Zarzarmora and IH-35.
    [​IMG]

Family members react as the body of a motorist is recovered from Six Mile Creek near South Flores.
    [​IMG]

Neighbors help out Ruperta Gonzalez as she evacuates from a van on Deely Place on the city's South Side.
    [​IMG]

James Powell drives his 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider out of high water in the 2600 blk. of Nacodogches Road. Powell's car stalled out in high water on his way home from work, he dryed off the spark plugs and was able to move the car out of the water.
    [​IMG]

A firefighter directs traffic away from deep water, having the traffic detour through a parking lot, at the intersection of IH-35 and Southcross.
    [​IMG]

Firefighters help a woman from a stalled car at Keats and IH-35.
    [​IMG]

A woman walks on a flooded S.W. Military Drive along Lackland Air Force Base.
    [​IMG]

Ann Vogt, left, gets help from her son Daniel Vogt as they leave their car after it stalled in high water on Gen. McMullen.
    [​IMG]

Mary Alice Cantu and Jerry Mata enjoy the rain while sitting on the bridge at S. Flores and Cass as rains from Tropical Depression Erin hit the area.
    [​IMG]

Tropical Storm Erin drops several inches of rain on the San Antonio area. Flood waters hit a bridge at E. Ashley and Pleasanton Road in the South Side.
    [​IMG]

A house in a flooded area on Deely Place.
    [​IMG]

Chris Saldivar rescues his dog as waters from Six Mile Creek rise to flood houses on Deely Place.
    [​IMG]

Floodwaters cover a section of Old Valley Hi Drive near Valley Hi Elementary School.
    [​IMG]

Adam Zucker (center) and other motorists wait for high water on S.W. Military Drive to subside near Lackland Air Force Base.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by