1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attention: Breeders!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Jul 24, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    When one of us post our birds or other folks birds, hatching eggs and all the goodies that goes with it, do you get overwhelmed by so many BYC folks wanting your products???

Pros and cons please! Does it do good for your business or hobby? How long does the demand last?

Good examples of our BYC folks are SpeckledHen, BamaChicken, Copper King, Gordie and of course, Daveroo! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, since my name is at the top of your list, I can tell you that from the first time someone asked me for eggs, it didnt stop. I ended up with a waiting list 9 months long; every week I was mailing out eggs. I decided I didn't want that type of commitment so starting this fall, I'm not going to make a list like that. Ill just collect then offer the eggs up for sale on BYC. I could have sold dozens and dozens more eggs if I'd had more than two Blue Orpington hens. Suede became very popular! Got a swelled head. Only wanted 11 grain scratch, not that common stuff any longer. Had to have his name painted on the coop door in the middle of a gold star. Yep, it snowballed, all right. [​IMG]

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I have a sued-ett and will be needing more. I want some of those blue orp. eggs!

4. speckledhen

PP, when the weather cools down enough for shipping, I'll have some up for sale on BST. I'm sure we can get you some more Suedelettes. [​IMG]

5. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:[​IMG]

I'm thinking my Suedelette I got from PC is black orp. not a blue orp.

Your the expert, what do you think Mr. Blue is a Blue or Black?

[​IMG]

Edited to add video:

(click watch in HIGH QUALITY)

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

BYC is a great site to list your eggs, etc on. There are always people looking for hatching eggs, and birds.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'll let you know if I ever have eggs TO sell or trade. [​IMG] I'm patiently waiting.

8. speckledhen

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/abby200/primo118.jpg

Edited to add video:

Looks black to me, PP. I get mostly blues and blacks and an occasional splash from Suede and his ladies. That one appears black with a nice sheen.

9. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/abby200/primo118.jpg

Edited to add video:

Looks black to me, PP. I get mostly blues and blacks and an occasional splash from Suede and his ladies. That one appears black with a nice sheen.

Okay, so I have a black orp. named Blue, oh well, I love him. PC might give me his splash hen so Blue will have a buddy [​IMG] So if I breed black to splash I get all blues, right?

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep you will get blues.

As for me for my flock of Orpingtons, I have two other friends of mine that has them and they are doing great. Had a long list until I send them to the farms and not all of them survived, due to predators, pecking orders, or unknown illnesses. Had to contact all those folks that they may or may not get any eggs from me as I was hoping.

I, too, lost a few Orpingtons during the year. Had problems with cocci and sewer rats. Got rid of cocci but the rats are ongoing problem for me.

The demand of Blue and Black Orpingtons from my stock of Catalupa stock, with Dick Horsmann lines with Warren Tye and Tommy Stanley lines all blended in, ARE in high demand and I hope to continue to do so. Recent lines is from Gordie which are Tommy Stanley lines AND Angela Stanley's lines go into this one too.

I would be able to fufill some orders if I have enough hatching eggs in the fall to certain people but mostly I will be raising chicks and hopefully ship them out if I can.

No profits in this type of hobby but the love for it is strong and the joy I get from people appreciative of my birds. I got one pullet that won her class at the Macon Co Fair this year is the best compliment I can get out of my Black Orp pullet. Even the judge think she should go on to Illinois State Fair but I will leave it up to my friend's kids to do the honor.

Downside of it, can not meet the demands and at the mercy of the chickens trying to get hatching eggs when they are going thru a molt or any other cause.

BYC is the best adversiting you can get your customers! Eggbid is next!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by