Attention Chicken People, Can you Help me?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jamieneenah, May 14, 2009.

1. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Dear Chicken People;

I am being held, in what my captors refer to as "The Meat Bin". It's way more than a bin, it's kind of a nice little area, a large roost, food, water, other birds, and oh did I mention food? I don't mind it here, but once in a while while the gate is open to my bin, I fly up and look out. I have seen another area they call "The Hen Bin". It is full of pretty little birds just like me. You see, I am a fun bird. I like to run around and play and fly. Most of the other birds in here are these fat thing they sometimes call Cornish, but normally they just call us meat.

I don't really know what happens to us regardless of what bin we are in, but I heard that life might be better if I was in "The Hen Bin". I tried moving to "The Hen Bin" when I had the chance, but my captors moved my back to "The Meat bin". They told me they like me, and if they knew I was a "Pullet" whatever the heck that means, that I could live in "The Hen Bin".

So Chicken people, please tell me, am I a Pullet? Can I live in the Hen Bin?

Thanks,

Red Bird the Chicken

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *note; images might be of a 2 different red birds. p.s. Any suggestions on how to tell the sex of these red birds would be great.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    It's a Production Rhode Island Red, or you can just call it a Rhode Island Red.

I'm assuming you got them from a TSC or other feed store? If so that's why they are Production Reds. Hatcheries breed more for production/egg laying rather than quality (adhering to the Standard of Perfection).

I love mine. Very sweet. [​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree, Production RIR and probably a pullet. [​IMG] I have one and she's a sweetie! They seem to get a quick growth of pink comb that slows down for a bit. When you first see them, they look like roos compared to other types the same age. Mine grew a lot bigger, a lot quicker than my Buff Orps or Golden Comets that were the same age.

Shelly

4. jamieneenah

May 2, 2009
    Quote:Thanks. :) Yes, from TSC. Are my reds still likely a mix of Male and Female? Are you able to tell this is a hen?

Thanks
    Jamie

5. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Girl - get her outta there!

6. jamieneenah

May 2, 2009
    Quote:Many of the reds are looking very similar to me. I wonder if it is possiable that this was a batch of red pullets at Tractor Supply are not Assorted Reds as it was labeled?

I'll go take some more photos of the others and try to get some side by side.

Thanks

Jamie

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    At TSC there is a good chance the chick does not match the label on the bin. Employees often do not know anything about what they are selling and get them mixed up, and since they are in reach of customers, they seem to finish the mixing. Hatchery sexing is only about 90% accurate anyway. I bought 13 roos for the freezer, some of them hatchery RIR; looks like I got at least 3 pullets out of the deal.

Looks like she needs to go to the pullet yard to me.

8. jamieneenah

May 2, 2009
    I just moved these 2 birds, and put the gate up, so I know which ones they are. The one I posted the first photo of had transferred it's self back into the meat bin.

The pattern on these 2 looks different from each other to me. I also noticed the tail feather seem to point up on some of the reds more than others. I suspect that one of these is a roo and one is a hen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Jamie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by