Attention: Coop heaters - flat wall hung type

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mac, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    For those of you who have purchased and used one - do you like them? If so, where online did you purchase it, and what brand did you buy? I see most of you mount them about a foot above the bedding which is what I would do.

I'm measuring my coop today and after I hear from you guys and your recomendations I will order one. Safety is a major concern. We have brand new wiring in the coop now, so we are ready to roll.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I'm very pleased with my flat panel heater. I put the waterer in front of it and it's plastic, and still standing strong! We got ours on e-bay, for 32.99 +shipping. Don't remember the brand but the company was out of Texas. Liked mine so much, Krisrose ordered one also. My coop is 10x12 and it keeps it around 38 degrees. I have it about a foot above the floor. You need to have an area where you can hang it with a 4 in. cleanrance all around. Any more questions, just ask. [​IMG]

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    My mother bought one for the chickens because she felt bad for them. Don't ask me why she felt bad for them in a fully enclosed barn with plenty of pine shavings, straw, scratch, layer pellets, water, fruit, stale bread, leftover veggies--she just did. She bought the expensive one from Shopthecoop.com.

It is mounted on the wall near the favorite roost. They seem to like it, although to be honest it doesn't seem to keep the whole coop noticeably warmer. It's only warm-ish (above freezing in the worst weather) right about where they roost, and everywhere else it's still cold. They do all shove each other out of the way, stand on top of each other, etc. at night, to be closer to the heater. But they don't spend all their time cuddled up to it or anything, they do get down and run around plenty.

4. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We installed a 10000 BTU heating and cooling aircontitioner in our coop when we built it. The aircontitioner keeps it around 75-80 degrees in the summer and in the winter we keep it about 60-65 degrees. I also have plenty of hay on the floor.
    [​IMG]

DeeDee

5. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Thanks everyone! My coop is 12x14x~12H at the peak of the roof. Its pretty large for my 9 hens, plus any heat they generate probably rises above them. It is dry, ventilated and has 8" of pine shavings. All in all, it might be big for them, but its pretty cozy and draft free. but it does get cold in there - its gotten in the mid-twenties. This will work to keep it a little warmer.

6. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    an oil filled electric heater would probably work a little better for heating the whole room. you can hang it from the ceiling so the chickens don't knock it over or try to roost on it. You can pick up these types of heaters at virtually any hardware/homecenter for around $40.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=35277-33454-EW6507L

The flat panel heaters are really ment to heat a small space; under your desk at work for example. The heater above will do a much better job heating the whole room instead of just a small area.

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Well leave it to me to be the stickler. I just always try to see the whole picture. I admit that we have red heat lamps in our coop because right now it's 10 below zero before any wind chill factor. That being said, we also maintain the deep litter method, made the coop as draft free as possible and insulated under and around the coop. We also provide lots of feed, scratch, oyster shell, grit, yummy seasonal treats and fresh water for them.

There is just something I want to make sure that everyone thinks about. A good portion of us live out in the country. Harsher conditions leave little room for error. Power outages occur and I just want to make sure that everyones chickens have suitable plumage in case that happens. If we are too quick to turn on heaters or heat lamps, they won't grow a suitable winter coat that would serve them well. I've seen many die to this very problem. Please just make sure that you have acclimated your chickens to the colder temps before spoiling them. I'd hate to think of a chicken freezing to death, or of the pain that the owner would go through.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:-10???? Now -6 is feeling a bit warm.

9. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Oh my goodness. We just got the heating bill that includes running the coop heater + two heated water bowls constantly through December and the first week of January. Also, we have a space heater in our laundry room because the central heat doesn't reach there and I don't want the pipes to freeze.

It's about $125 more than it was last year. No kidding.

I think from now on, I'm only plugging it in during the nastiest below-zero temps, only overnight, and whatever new breeds of chicken we get will have suitable combs for New England weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by