Attention Genetics Gurus--Araucana Breeding Group

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geareduplyn, Jan 10, 2009.

1. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Anyone want to speculate on what I will get from the group shown here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have no idea, sorry... but I see you use the pellets for bedding. Are they better than chips? I was thinking of getting them next time...

3. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:I haven't used anything else for about 15 years. They are far superior to anything I used in the past. No dust or shavings filling the air anytime a bird flaps their wings.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Gary, those birds are so cool looking! It looks like barring and splash on a single bird. I think I see crele too. Are you planning to continue working on it? They are really beautiful! [​IMG]

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Sorry, but I have a dumb question... Why do they have different colored legs? What are the crosses? Are they all from an Araucana hen and a Araucana Roo?

Thanks! I am trying to get a handle on the genetic stuff!

Hugs
    Christina

6. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:I breed from nothing but rumpless Araucanas, and tufted if possible. The birds shown are half sisters from the same cock. The cockerel is a cousin. The genetic makeup of the Araucanas is complex as they are more or less a created breed( I probably will take some flack for that statement) and carry recessives for a bunch of undesirable features as far as Araucanas go. They white legs popped up up in these breedings, but since I am doing this for my own satisfaction I'm going to breed from them for a while. The legs should be willow, but I like the yellow legs so eventually they will all be yellow. After I hatch 50 or so chicks from this cockerel I have a much better patterned Cockoo cockerel that isn't as heavily tufted that I am going to use that does have willow legs, so there may be a group of willow legged birds in the future. I started breeding birds before I knew about all the genes and DNA and I still don't know much, so I essentially breed from my Phenotypes.

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Great information. I appreciate the explanation!! (and even understand it!!!)
    Hugs
    Christina

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Wow Gary, they are beautiful! I have the 1 tufted rumpless one that I hatched from Anne and it actually is starting to look just like those, still barred but some splash coming in. I will try to get a pic if I can remember. I would love to get some more that are just like it if you will be selling any eggs from that pen come spring [​IMG] .

9. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Sorry, I have no idea. I just love Araucaner and can tell that yours are gorgeous!!!
    However, if you need a test hatcher....maybe I volunteer (haha....)[​IMG][​IMG]

10. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

No speculating, just complimenting - wonderful birds! Whatever you have now and eventually finish with, those are fascinating patterns! I will never be a genetic Guru, but I do know there are some smart people around, and there are specific genes related to the barred pattern as well that are very difficult for me to follow, but I loved it when I saw that Barred Pattern on an Easter Egger!!

I dont get all calculation and little alphabet stuff, wish I could! You are so brave! I do have a really neat book though, but its all greek to me! It might be helpful if anyone had a specific question though....oh, and I could find the book! Let me know though, and I'll try to find it. It was highly recommended...but the name escapes me...sorry, I'm so useless! Ha Ha!

Yep, those are very pretty birds! Oh, and thank you for the pic of your birds on the pellets! I assume those are Equine Fresh Pellets? How often do you freshen those up? I have been considering using them as ground cover in the shed/coop as you are, and wondered if the chickens would eat it? It looks safe to me! Could you put it in the bottom of nest boxes, or would the hens hate it? Just wondering what all uses it has?
    Thanks,

Tina/tfpets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by