Attention Lawyers or Legal advisers UPDATE on #23

Well he would not mind driving up there, get all the copies of ticket and paperwork from there to be safe and speak in person. Last time he called the other county courthouse, they played phone tags how to get his antique motorcycle licensed and titled. Made three different phone calls, got all kinds of run arounds, spending about two hours each.....no thanks! So it is best to go there personally and maybe pay a visit to his sister in Peoria, IL. which it is not far from Woodford Co...about 45 minutes from us.

With all the past tickets my relatives get, they said they get it directly from the courthouse itself, not a second party like the collections. Also, they would have red flag you if you have not paid ANY tickets outstanding.

Macon Co Police Dept was very helpful and they said it would be BEST if we go to Woodford Co and find out. They did not think the company is legit because the way it was printed out like if you were overdue on your credit card payments.

Hope things will be okay and get the fines paid if need to be. It would have been nice to hear of the stature of limitations for federal and state IOU's. No wonder the state is so broke and had to dig harder and deeper to get the "lost" monies back from the citizens.

Definately look into everything. When we moved to CT 6 years ago my husband went to get his license and was told his RI one had been suspended. There was a ticket from 18 years ago on his record. He couldn't figure it out so I called the RI DMV and found out that they had installed a new system and "old" tickets were coming up as unpaid. After an entire day being sent from one court house to another everything was dropped. Best of luck.

The fines owed has been sold to this collection agency in FL. The clerk at the Woodford County said he CAN pay his payments in installments for his court tickets, NOT a problem there! However he woudl have to deal with the collection agency himself on the collection fees which he really does not want to pay! He only wants to pay his fines and be done with it.

We have made several calls to this company, got the run arounds, hold ups ,etc. It just sucks that we ended up not one person answered the phone, all of them are on automachines, press one, press two, and so on! GRRRRRRR!

So much for a 13 year old bill that he owes! Possible for this collection agency to sue him for their fees? I would think so. They still dont have our address so they kept sending it to his old address he has not lived there since Jan, 2000. HIs mother still throws his mail away.

Would the collection agency go after ME? I did not think I would be sued to pay his collection fees which it is not my doing and we were not married at that time. My father told me once you are married, any old bills comes in before marriage, it will be your debts also.

Last edited:
If you're married I think they can go after you.

My advice, pay and forget about it. Stuff happens. Fighting it will make you insane and probably wind up costing more than just paying it.

I dont think that they can come after you.... can they?
he.gif

You shouldnt be liable for your husbands fines...
Thats like putting you in jail for a crime he commited.... dosent make sense to me...
Maybe they can though....
Anyone know?

I dont mind paying the fines but the collection agency
hu.gif

It would be fine for them to go after hubby but not me LOL! Heck, I filed bankruptcy six and half years ago, before we were married. So both of us can have a clean slate of bills before we were married and glad of it! I know my credit sucks but his was great. A banker's dream, that is!

Quote:
Sounds like a winner LOL!

The $650 dollar collection fee is all they asked while the court fees are the rest of it. And the court gave us the breakdowns of the charges. Most of it was court costs, taxes and DUI, and all the state fee candies slapped on it for their funds for the state. As the clerk stated the fines. And he did get his copies of the tickets. The reactioin from the clerk when hubby showed them the paperwork, her replied was "Oh, THEM again!" like she was disgusted with the agency LOL! Can't win any favors!

Onward we go!

Last edited:
Question?

If they sold the debt to them... does that mean he does not have an outstanding warrant?

Is this now a purely civil matter, or even if you pay this fine through the agency is there a chance that a warrant might still be lurking?

No warrant of any kind. He made sure of it. He did show up for court that time they assigned but it was a matter of paying it. That is what I don't get it when he was reissued licenses three times, everything checked out fine.

Even the state and city cops stopped him at roadside safety checks, all clear and no problems. No warrants of any kind. Even the website said nothing at all except fines needed to be paid.

In that letter it did say if we didn't pay, they MAY have the state put a red flag on his license when it is time to renew or one of those roadside safety checks. That is what gets me why the state was so flack in their systems that all of a sudden, oops, we got tons to get people. And his mother throwing his mail away does not help matters, either.

Back
Top Bottom