ATTENTION: Looking for Black Copper Maran Breeders!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickenlovefever, Aug 2, 2011.

1. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Hi There,
    I am going to start breeding chickens and plan on building two separate breeding pens for two different breeds. I have been reading up and I am really Leaning towards Black Copper Marans and either Sicilian Buttercups or Langshans. I have a pretty good idea that i could get Langshans or Sicilian Buttercups from a hatchery, though they won't be quality, but I have been looking and looking to ge my hands on Black Copper Marans. Just about all of the hatcheries are sold out and won't be getting chicks until March 2012! But I want to find a breeder who breeds PUREBRED BCMs, and who doesn't just have hatchery chicks. I would like a decent price, Around 10- Per chick. I have to have a certain money spending limit. I am looking for just 1 Rooster, and around 4 Hens to breed. But, If you can't sex them and you as a breeder just have straight run, I would have to take more to be sure i don't get all roos or all pullets or only 2 or 1 pullets. I don't want to spend 70$s on 5 chicks. But, I have some Lines to draw.
    I need a Breeder Who Breeds PUREBRED BCMs.
    I need a breeder who can SHIP chicks.
    I LIVE IN VIRGINIA. I can come pick up chicks if you live around IN VIRGINIA. Otherwise, I would have to have you ship them.
    I am really looking for good prices, no out of this world prices. I UNDERSTAND that this type of chicken is pretty rare.
    Thankyou, and PLEASE post if you are a breeder. [​IMG] I would be glad to buy from you.

2. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    My Pet Chicken sells Black Copper Marans. Good Luck

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You need an incubator and start hatching your own from eggs. That would save you a bit of cash. I sell mine for $5 for the first 2 weeks but I can't keep them that long. I just finished up my sales for the year and had a very long list back in Jan. that has taken me all year to fill.
    I do not ship chicks and all my sales are from locals or folks who will drive from one or two states away to buy them.

4. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Quote:WOW! [​IMG]:th How on EARTH did you get the word out? I have found a local breeder now, off of craigslist. An hour away drive. Its better than shipping, I can tell you that. I am hopig to breed these chicks. THey are Bev Davis Lines. Hopefully 10 $ each is a good price ([​IMG]) What is your price?

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Whitmore Farms in MD sells quality birds and fertilized eggs. For starting a breeding program you may want to get in touch with them. They have Marans and a couple of other breeds. Everything I have read about them has been good.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by