Attention Muscovy lovers

redneckchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 13, 2013
At what age can you tell the REAL difference between a male and female Muscovy? I have 4 of them one is 6wks old and the other 3 are 4wks one looks smaller then the rest but the oldest is huge! and the 2 middle ones are the same size. So I am having a real hard time deciding what I have on my hands. Thanks for any input!

I can tell wwith some at as young as 1 week. It is going to be harder to tell because of the age difference. A week can make a huge difference. At the ages you have, you should be able to tell between the 4 week olds. If one is noticeably smaller, it is most likely female. With the 6 week old if it is really huge, it too is probably male.
This is not always 100%, some can be slow/ fast growers. But it sounds like you may have 3 males and 1 female. If this is indeed the case, you will need to make some decisions about what to do with the extra boys.

By 3-4 wks i am getting a pretty good idea, who is going where, it's almost as if the girls stop growing because after this aging the boys come on so hard with sizing.

These are now a month old below, the chocolate is a girl, for sure. The yellow(he's a turning blue) is def a boy.

hmmm maybe ill post a pic and see what you guys think.. keep your eyes peeled for a pic on this thread

hmmm maybe ill post a pic and see what you guys think.. keep your eyes peeled for a pic on this thread
pop.gif
side shots of length of body and legs, on all of them would be good.

Last edited:
Not very good pics here are 3 of the 4.. Pretty sure # 1 is a boy ..#2 is 2wks older so thinking a boy...#4 is a girl .. the one missing is just about the same size as 1.

Yup, going by the pics, the chocolate is female and the other 2 male. If the 4th is the same size as one of the other males, it too will be a boy.

Sorry. I know it is not good news. Do start thinking about what you'll want to do.

Back
Top Bottom