1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attention New Chicken Owners Who Like Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    If you are new to chickens you need to check out the recipe section before your hens start laying. There are several threads on there about how to cook boiled eggs. You may have always boiled eggs without problems but that does not mean you know how to boil FRESH eggs. Boiling them and then having the white stick to the shell is a bummer. I just thought you might want to be prepared for those first eggs coming your way. You probably need to pass that info along to those you share your eggs with also.

They also have lots of recipes that use eggs and hopefully you will have an abundance and be looking for those also. Enjoy those fresh eggs, they are coming to your back yard if they aren't already there.

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Thank you for reminding me.
    I have NEVER been able to properly boil store bought yucky eggs without a peeling problem. [​IMG]

I will make sure I find the secret since it would be a shame for my girls to go to all the trouble just to have me frustrated again. [​IMG]

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i just saw another post on boiling fresh eggs.....they said to add salt to the boiling water.....
    and ice them when they are done boiling...(about 12 minutes)...and peeling them right away!

4. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Have not boiled any yet even though I love egg salad. I've been too enamored with cracking them open and enjoying their 'fresh' look, smell, and taste. Thanks for the heads up...I just know my egg salad is going to be out of this world now!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks for the heads up, Carolyn! I haven't gotten to the fresh egg stage yet and had no idea I had to boil fresh eggs differently. Really appreciate the post -

6. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    we don't boil, we coddle... makes for MUCH more tender eggs, the whites don't get rubbery.
    here's how:
    add room temp eggs to pan, cover with room temp water.
    bring to a roiling boil, then immediately remove from heat and cover with a lid.
    let sit 18-22 minutes depending on the size of the egg (longer at higher altitudes).
    put the eggs in an ice bath to stop cooking process, adding ice if the water warms up.

you'll need to experiment with the time for your egg size to get it just right. coddling makes the *perfect* boiled egg!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  7. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    What works best for me after trying various methods is to add 1 tsp salt to water and bring it to a boil in a sauce pan with a cover. When the water is boiling gently lower eggs (I've used fresh ones, room temp ones and refridgerated ones with = success) into the boiling water. I use a slotted spoon to lower them. Make sure the eggs are covered with water. Put on the top and reduce heat to simmer. I cook reg to ex large 15 minutes, less time for small eggs roughly 12 minutes. As soon as the time is up, drain them and place in cold water with ice added. As soon as they are cool enough to handle peel them starting at the large end.
    This not only works to make them peel easily but also takes care of the greenish tink you can get on the yellow. There are a lot of ways that apparently work but this works best for me. Adding extra salt did not always work. I got pretty desperate before I convinced myself to try putting the egg into boiling water but have only cracked an egg once and I wasn't using a spoon then. (tint, not tink)

8. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Just curious....what causes the green "tint" around the yolk sometimes?

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:overcooking or too high a heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by