Attention Peeple of the Board... I Need Some Roo Advice

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
I have 2 roos (cockerels really) and 10 pullets. One roo started out soooo mellow, but now is a big meany. He likes to rip holes in the heads and combs of the females. I know when they are young (he's 4.5 months old) they are akward with mating, but I think he creates a weakness on the pullet, then exploits it. They are getting really messed up. The other roo sort of chases him off at times, but at other times JOINS him.

My question is, should I cull the offensive roo in question or should I wait and see if his disposition improves? Once they taste blood, are they ruined for life?

I could eat him, I have no problem with that. He's just sort of a favorite gone bad, so I am looking for some alternative ideas.

Thanks!

hmm.png

Quote:
In this case, I'd say yes, dispatch him. I'm not always a hatchet man, but in this case it seems the likliest solution.

Quote:
I wouldnt go straight to "dolt." I'd be inclined to hold at "frozen with indecision."

You strike me as one of the least dolt-like folks around BYC. Heck, the fact that you even know the word implies that you, by default, are not a dolt.

Dolt ya know?

PS I just visited your blog site. Now I know you are not a dolt. 'Quirky' perhaps, even avant-garde, but not a dolt.
They say that genius is its own reward. If that is so, then I say you are very near wealthy.
I expect great things of you one day, Laurie. You are decidely on my radar.

Last edited:
The young guys are more aggressive. They're full of hormones and the hens are usually not cooperative with the youngsters.

All of my more aggressive youngsters mellowed out with time. None caused any permenant damage to the hens. Nothing beyond missing feathers and cut to the comb- for that matter the hens fight worse with each other!

It's totally your choice as to what you want to do. But from my experience (13 roosters) none stayed aggressive with the hens it was always a temporary thing having to do with growing up.

On the other hand it may be a sign that he will become agressive with you and that's just not a good thing.

Last edited:
Given his age.........I'd think about waiting to see if he calms down...............unless you really want a fresh chicken dinner....than whack him.

Now if it was my youngest daughter he was being aggressive towards, he'd already be in the stew pot.

P.S. Yes, your blog is great!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom