Attention Quail People. Do you have recipes for quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sunny the Hippie Chick, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Moderators.. I hope I didnt post this in the wrong thread. Should it have been in the recipe section. Sorry. Please move this if it is in the wrong place. Thanks.

Im a beginner at the raising of coturnix quail. And need ideas for cooking the quail when it is their time. I would love to get some recipes. I bet other BYCers would like to have some too.

Better yet. Maybe add the recipes to the BYC cookbook. [​IMG]
    Heres the link on how to add recipes to the book.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=162422

Thank you fellow BYCers

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. d73

d73 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Pine Island Florida
    I just ate my first ones last week.
    I skinned them because its easier then plucking.
    I split mine in half. Right down one side of the beast bone and right through the back.
    Salt and pepper then i flowered them and fried them in about 5/8" of oil.
    When I was done I drained most of greese and added some onions, cooked them down a little then made gravy and white rice.
    It was suprisingly good.

Was the first time I have ate quail since I was a little kid. They are soo much better then chicken.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lemme See, Where To Start???
    Coturnix Definately Have A Way Different Taste Than Bob Whites---

Bobs,
    4 Oz Of Bourbon + Juice From 1 Lime--- Place In Zip Lock And Marinate Birds All Day, They Slow Smoke Over Hickory Or Pecan Wood--- Not Much Better Than That!

Coturnix,
    CUBAN STLYE! DUST 1/2'D BIRDS WITH ADOBO SPICE, THEN...
    Place 1/2'd Birds In A Roasting Pan Cover With Mojo-- REGULAR OR SOUR ORANGE, BOTH WORK VERY WELL(spanish Marinating Sauce) Slow Cook At 250 Degrees In Covered Roaster Or Crock Pot--- Serve With Yellow Rice Black Beans And Diced Vidalia Onions Sprinkled Over Top---i Dont Care Who You Are--- Thats Good Right There!!!

They Do Well Egg Battered And Breaded With Italian Style Bread Crumbs And Deep Fried

Dust Them Chef Paul Prudhoms Poultry Majic, Or Everglades Seasoning Place Them In A Crock Pot With Chicken Broth, Or Grill Them Crusted--- Either Way Is Good, But The Crock Pot Makes The Meat More Tender And Falls Off The Bone---- You Can Do The Same Recipe But Substitute Apple Juice For The Chicken Broth.

Garlic Lime Marinate And Grill

Bar B Que Them Boogers

STUFFED BIRDS SLOW COOKED IN OVEN ROASTER-- JUST LIKE THANKSGIVING TURKEY( ONLY MUCH SMALLER!!)

CAJUN STUFFED BIRDS--- STUFF THE COTURNIX WITH STUFFING AND CHORIZO SAUSAGE, THEN CRAM IT INTO THE BODY CAVITY OF A CORNISH GAME HEN, THEN CRAM BOTH INTO THE BODY CAVITY OF A CHICKEN OR DUCK,( YOU CAN STOP HERE OR KEEP GOIN UP TO TURKEY OR GOOSE...) DUST THE OUTER BIRD WITH CAJUN SPICE AND SLOW ROAST IN COVERED DUTCH OVEN STYLE POT. SERVE WITH RED BEANS AND RICE, JUMBALAYA, ETUFFE', OR DIRTY RICE

Look Up Game Recipes And Try A Nice Duck A'lorange But Use The Coturnix Instead Of Duck....

And The List Goes On, And On, And On...
    ALL RECIPES CAN BE USED WITH ANY QUAIL, BUT BOBS ARE WAY MORE TASTY THAN COTURNIX.

EDITED CAUSE I CANT TYPE WORTH A HOOT!!!

4. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    They all sound yum...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by