ATTENTION SILKIE owners!! some quick questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zzguy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    i've been researching breeds to get for my newly built chicken coop. I fell in love with silkies when i started researching them, i need to know if they will do good with other, perhaps bigger, breeds. also it gets really hot in the summer, will this be a prob.?

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Before I answer you shuld know silkies are evil and will try and kill you.

They do fine with standard breeds. Mine get along fine but the silkies keep
    to themselves.

As for the heat silkies are more sensitive to the heat than standards. Provide
    them plenty of shade and water and they should be ok.

3. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have a silkie hen with a buff orpington, Easter egg hens, 1 giant EE rooster, "egyptian houdan"hen a rooster (we really don't know what they are so we call them this), black jersey giant hen, and 3 leghorn hens. They get along just fine but then again these are my birds, some people don't have any luck with silkies in their flock. Around here it gets up to about 100 degrees in summer and she does fine.

Just wanted to add that my silkie is in a shaded area as well but still it can get to be about 100 in their too. Purplechicken, what would we do with out you? You make us laugh in almost every thing you write.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  4. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    silkies are great chickens and should be fine with other chickens.They are great setters on eggs to.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Well I was just trying to help. [​IMG]

My silkie hen is so good with chicks of all ages where my standards want to eat the
    chicks.

6. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    my chicken run is about 10 by 10, about how many chickens will be able to fit comfortably in it??

7. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    20-25 chickens. If you get standard then I would say about 20 but if you get bantams then 25 definatly.

8. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    Quote:really?? because the reason i asked was because the run looked really small, the copp is about 8 by 4, still 20-25?

9. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    OOOOOOOOO, I thought you meant that your coop was that big, I was hesitant to post my answer thinking that you were just talking about the run but if your coop is 8 by 4 then I would say 10 chickens would be MAX.

10. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    does the run size matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by