<<<Attention>>> Silkie show people...Critique please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Frozen Feathers, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Please take a look at these birds, mainly the last splash and the two grays. Please tell me what you think, I am looking for a SQ splash or gray pullet/hen to add to my flock. Not sure of the age, they where hatched in Dec. but the pics are supposed to be of them when they are younger, maybe 4 or 5 months?? Anyway, just want to know if any are worth the drive. Thanks so much! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  2. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have never shown and am not sure what the judges are looking for. They sure are pretty though!!!

3. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Not a show person, but I would drive! I've been looking for a splash! The foot feathering is sure good on some of them! Hope someone with more knowledge comes soon!

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Not a show person either, but I am in love with splash silkies. [​IMG]

5. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    <-------- I love Splash Silkies too!!!

6. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Angie, here is a picture of a show quality Grey silkie. I don't think the ones you are looking at are show quality. That is just my observation from your picutres.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  7. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Isn't it kind of hard to judge show quality just from a picture? I'm no expert, but from what I've seen, the judges look at the birds very thoroughly, checking the toes, wing feathers, comb, etc., so I would imagine it would be hard to tell by a picture alone?

8. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    I would say it is very hard to judge from a picture alone but the opionion was asked for.

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yes it is hard to tell just from a pic, and these birds are probably only about 4 or 5 months, where most birds aren't shown until they are at least 6 months, when they are in full feather. You also have to look at toes, combs, etc. You can get a general idea, though. They are both good lines either way and I really like the splash. Just wanted some outside opinions.

Here's one of my white Silkies a before and after.
    Silkie pullet at about 5 months old
    [​IMG]
    Same girl after being in with the rooster at about 1yr old, notice the hair cut??
    [​IMG]
    Taken today, just a couple months after being with the roo, her crest is starting to grow back.
    [​IMG]
    If I had just gone by the second picture, she's a pretty crap Silkie. Judging by the first one, she's very nice for a young pullet (the bird, not the girl [​IMG]) and the last one, you can see potential, give that crest a little while longer and she'll be looking great. I really love the feather on the feet of this bird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by