Attention Snake People... ((Help))

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
My king snake has mouth rot. I know the usual treatment is to get her to a vet asap, but the problem with that is the nearest herp vet is over 2 hours away and to be honest I don't have that kind of money right now (we're in a tight spot financially at the moment). Does anyone have any advice, OTC medications or home remedies that can help?

I don't want to lose her, but I know how it will progress without treatment. She did eat a mouse two days ago, but she was reluctant. I left her alone, covered her cage, and checked back on her in about an hour, and she had eaten. She normally just goes right after it.

I will do my best to keep the area clean and irrigated, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
hmm.png

Sorry, IRM. Never even heard of that. What causes it? Is it fungal?
Maybe blue kote? Although you're probably not supposed to get it in your mouth....
I dont know...
sad.png

Quote:
Mouth rot is bacterial... I know you shouldn't have animals if you can't afford to take care of them, but I'm just in a tight spot right now. Trying to scrimp and save every possible penny so that I can get out of my miserable job ASAP, and plus with Chris taking a $6/hr pay cut things are tight anyways.

sad.png
I feel like a bad snake momma, but I'm doing everything I can to keep her comfortable.
hit.gif

Quote:
Mouth rot is bacterial... I know you shouldn't have animals if you can't afford to take care of them, but I'm just in a tight spot right now. Trying to scrimp and save every possible penny so that I can get out of my miserable job ASAP, and plus with Chris taking a $6/hr pay cut things are tight anyways.

sad.png
I feel like a bad snake momma, but I'm doing everything I can to keep her comfortable.
hit.gif

Sweetie, we have ALL been in that position! You just do what ya can.
I saw where someone said you can get mouth rot meds from a pet store? maybe try that??
Its okay... you ARE a good snake momma...
hugs.gif

She's old... She was wild caught and neglected before I got her. She was probably already 4 years old at least. Someone had my now beautiful 42 inch snake in a 10 gallon aquarium, feeding her only when they felt like it, with only an old fashioned "heat rock" as a heat source. No light, no timer, no nothing. It was sad. Knowing that she had been "domesticated" for too long, and there would be no releasing her to the wild, I took her in. I gave her a 40 gallon reptile tank, screen top, under-tank heater, day glow heat bulb on a timer, and clean water at all times. I put her on a feeding schedule, a regular feeding schedule, and she filled out, brightened up, and has never since tried to bite me.

So yes, I have tried to be a good snake momma for the last 5 years of her life. I would guess her to be around 10-ish, but given the neglect she suffered in the beginning of her life, I doubt she's got much longer.

There are many home-grown treatments out there. The one I use if something comes in with mouth issues is about 10% Chlorhexadine mixed with water, flush the mouth with this twice a day and bump up temps about 10 degrees warmer than you normally keep her. If it's not too bad and you stay on top of it, this should fix it. Otherwise you're going to need some antibiotic injections. To flush, I pull the mix into a syringe, and hold the snake over a sink. (Helps with two people but you can get it done with one) Point snake's head down so that you're not aspirating them, and hose it out gently with the syringe.

The problem with mouth rot is that can be accompanied by a respiratory infection. (Well, at least in ball pythons - I'm not that versed in kingsnakes) Any popping or wheezing? Extra fluid of any sort in the mouth? Any bubbles back in the mouth if you open it? She eating normally for the last month or so?

I hope she gets better quickly for you.

Last edited:
X2...this is really good advice. I only had to deal with this once (thankfully) with a blood python and we used Betadine. Here is a great site that describes a similar treatment to what I used. If it progressed, you will need a vet as Bayrtil injectable may be your best bet which is perscription only. If you call a small animal vet and describe the issue, even if they don't see reptiles they may be willing to prescribe you the Baytril. You could always call the vet and see what they say....GOOD LUCK!!!

Check this out.... http://www.pkreptiles.com/informationterms/articles/mouthrot.asp

Back
Top Bottom