Attention White Brahma lovers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by alaskachick, Jul 12, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I did so much reading about Delwares only to find out yesterday that I have 16 week Light Brahmas. Would you encourage me by telling me what kind of personalities they have and whether they are winter hardy?

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The Light Brahmas are excellent for colder weather with their large frames and feathering. We raise them and live in the South with heat and humidity but they do just fine. Excellent broodies, egg layers and very gentle. The roos are truly gentlemen with the ladies and they are huge birds. Never had a problem around the kids with any of them. They are lovers not fighters! [​IMG]

ACE my roo & 1 of my hens:
    [​IMG]

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Most of my lights are still in the brooder stage but I do have one hen who is very quiet and gentle. I have just recently gotten brahmas but I just love them especially the darks.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Have had Light Brahmas for years. Good winter layers and never ever had a problem with them and frigid tempertures. Roosters and hens do really well in the sub zero weather due to their pea combs. No frost bite. Nice calm birds.

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i don't have any light brahmas but i do have a buff brahma and i don't think their is much of a personality difference between the two. my brahma is always the easiest to catch when it is time to go into the coop and is one of the friendliest in my mix flock.

6. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Light Brahmas are great birds. They are one of my favorites. They are big , gentle birds and I find mine just as friendly and sociable as my Buff Orps, sometimes more so. Some of the roosters can be protective of the hens, but most are pretty docile for roosters.
    My girls tend to talk alot and will jump up on our lap or arm for treats. They are really calm and don't mind being petted by the kids.
    They do well in the winter and heat of the summer. Mine lay pretty good, and some nice shades on their eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by