Attn. Easter Egger Owners!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lori1169, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lori1169

lori1169 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Has anyone else experienced chicken snobbery towards their birds as though they were undesirable mutts? Mine were sold to me as Ameraucaunas, so new to chickens I thought they were...until I was promptly corrected by the chicken police!

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah... some people get their knickers in a twist over it [​IMG] I bought 3 ameraucanas from a breeder and have yet to figure out in they're that or ee's. All I know is his hens lay blue eggs.

eta: I don't think it's snobbery... it's just people that have been on this board for a while and see the topic come up multiple times per day and the same answers by people that REALLY don't know the difference. Breeders have a different perspective than those of us who just buy them for their pretty eggs, so I think it's understandable. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Personally I would rather have my mutt EE's. I think they are awesome!

But of coarse that is my opinion [​IMG]

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Umm... I wish I would have known before I ordered Ameraucanas that hatcheries don't sell them, they sell EE's, but call them Ameraucanas. I think that is rude to say the least.
    I am only in it for the eggs & pet factor, so I don't care that they are a 'mutt.' I think being 'corrected' by a true Ameraucana breeder/owner would be understandable. I'd like to know exactly what I have.
    So, no I have not experienced any snobbery.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    pips&peeps wrote:
    Yes, she is a pullet, but she and her like friends are easter eggers. [​IMG]

lori1169 wrote: Thanks..I was sold 2 Buff Orpingtons and one turned out to be an egger too although it is buff and white...so i guess the feed stores dont always know what they get either..! Im not a chicken purist...but all chicken knowledge is good to have!

So now there is a problem with the information given to you? What changed since your last post to give any indication that there was any "snobbery" involved?​

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

While it is nice to be able to say that you really do posess a certain breed, I do believe that if you are interested purely in egg color then who cares what breed it comes out of. If you want olive eggs and only a mangy mutt lays them then hey keep the mutt that lays the olive eggs! I want an olive egg layer BTW....just FYI.

7. sparkles2307

pips&peeps :

So now there is a problem with the information given to you? What changed since your last post to give any indication that there was any "snobbery" involved?

...only snobby attitudes would indicate snobbiness...IMHO of course​

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mutts are ALWAYS the best [​IMG]

9. sparkles2307

if chickens are anything like cattle, the mutts have higher disease resistance and better production. I do want a few purebred birds most definitely, but I am not going to turn my back on a mutt if its got the eggs I want!

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:You are correct!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by