Attn Northern folks---Putting chicks out in coop???????

Solsken Farm

Songster
12 Years
I have 15 chicks that are a few days shy of 6 weeks. They are HUGE and seem to need more room than our 3 x 5 brooder in our coat room. I was contemplating moving them out to our insulated coop this weekend. They would have a 250 watt heat lamp and will be 6 weeks then. I would keep the pop door closed for another week or so. It is in the low 50s during the day now, with a colder breeze. Nights have gotten into the upper 20s outside. The coop is obviously much warmer and the heat lamp would be low to the floor. I would watch them to see their behavior and could always move them back.

Should I wait another week or two? Or would this be okay?

Thank you.

Last edited:
my new chicks were still a bit underage when i had to get them out of the garage. What i did, was staple up a chicken wire partition, giving them the back of the coop (so the older girls could still go in and out at will). When they were adult size, i just removed the partition.

Morning!
I put my 2 chicks in the coop about 2 weeks ago. They are about 10-11 weeks old now. I have a special area consisting of about 2 large nesting boxes that they sleep in and I dont have to worry about the big girls picking on them. And during the day, they have their own little run connected to the big one so they still have interaction. As far as temps go, the coop is insulated and last nite it was 22 degress F. They were all snuggled up and nice and cozy. Tolerate the cold well. I am going to let them loose with the big girls this weekend when I have time to chicky-sit. They are so cute. One is a silkie and the other a barred rock.

I have my 6 week olds out in their section of the coop with their own popdoor and run. They have been going outside during the days for a couple weeks now, but I lock them up around 4pm now due to it getting so chilly.

Ours are now one week old and have been in our insulated coop since the first day. Dry and draft free, with a heat lamp that they come and go under. They seem fine.

groupshot.jpg

Yup, I say move 'em out. Put a deep layer of shavings so they can snuggle in if necessary. And you know they will all cuddle up with each other anyway if they are cold.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Okay I am going to do it. The dust (poo, ick) is all over our house!!!!!!

They have their own section in the coop, with their own run. Poor things will be terrified I am sure.

Our coop is insulated, dry and draft free. It has southern exposure so I might even open the pop door for them. It seems really warm on that side today.

I appreciate it.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom