Attracting mosquito larvae/eggs to feed tropical fish?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farming Frenzy, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Hey guys
    I just wanted to know if you had any ideas or what was the best way to attract mosquitoes? I would like to raise/get some larvae for my gouramis and tetras, but I don't really know how to catch them. My grandparents had a bucket of water left outside to keep cuttings of plants geowing before they were planted and i discovered some larvae which I fed to my betta, and now im wandering how I can get some at my house to feed my fish?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Standing water, like in a bird bath.....Funny I came across this! Just yesterday I went out and noticed my bird bath had the little wigglers in it! And I said "DIE BABY MOSQUITOS! DIE!" As I poured out the water.....[​IMG]

3. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Ha lol thats usually what i say when i come across a spider

4. alldembirds

alldembirds Songster

Oct 19, 2013
    standing water is all you need for mosquitos to start laying. Im not sure I would want to invite them around ,they wont leave me alone.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - in small scale, it isn't a big worry and they are an excellent source of food for your fish. I actually take them from our water trough (before I dump/refill) in the summer months for our breeding tanks as they are great for conditioning of the parent fish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by