Atwoods clearance mystery straight run chicks for less than $2~

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ShannonMC, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ShannonMC

ShannonMC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    There was a label on the side of the tub indicating that they recently had Buff Orpingtons. However, there were black and brown-reddish older chicks in there. We got two of each. They all have their spur buds and adult, so they are pretty far along, all still sound chick like and none crowing yet. But wondering if you can all help me narrow down the breed? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help and looking! Our other Atwoods had Barred Rocks- the same age, and another Atwoods had Brown leghorns as well as Bantams- but not sure what kind those were. We are hoping we got 100% females, but we have no idea what was what, we went for ones with small combs though, some had big red flopping ones already.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The black chicks look like probable Australorps and the reddish brown chicks looks like Production Reds.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m also thinking Australorps and production Reds. Not Orps, Rocks, or Leghorns, for sure.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

6. ShannonMC

Oct 16, 2014
    THank you all for the help! We appreciate it! crossing fingers and toes for girls!

7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    The first Australorp is probably male; the second might be. Third chick (PR) is male. Fourth not sure.

8. ShannonMC

Oct 16, 2014
    I only posted pictures of two chicks actually. It sounds like you think they are both males? How can you tell at this age for sure?

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Sorry, I thought you meant you had two of each breed. Yeah, I do think both are cockerels then. The big comb and wattles give it away at this age. I'm not 100% on the Australorp, could you post a picture that shows the comb from the side?

10. ShannonMC

Oct 16, 2014
    Lol oh no!! We got 4 chicks, two of each, but I only posted the two chicks, so we could get them identified for breeds. We did pick the ones with the smallest combs too. Their fellow tub mates had big floppy red combs, so we avoided them. We figured for sure those would be males, but we didnt know for sure, they are all same age. I will seend more pictures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by