Atypical indications of pain

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
After a vet visit and three different treatment protocols, I've recently stopped doctoring my six-year-old buff Orpington for what presented as a sour crop. The vet did a crop flush and cytology and found what seems to be a thickening or growth low on the inner lining of the crop; I think she suspects cancer, and I feel I've done all I can in case it's not cancer. Now the hen -- who continued laying through three weeks of miconazole, meloxicam and acidified copper sulfate -- has gone broody. I'm trying to break her of it so I can see what's what, as they get quite distressed when broody and excluded from the nest. Mostly, I am concerned about a lot of dustbathing and preening, head-shaking, some odd noises (little yells, apart from the broody cluck) and wonder if anyone else has seen these behaviors in a hen that might be in pain, say from tumors or some other inner thing gone wrong. She is not eating or drinking as she was, but that also could be related to broodiness; she walks and runs around quite a bit. My typical experience with sick and dying hens involves lethargy, droopiness and not vocalizing, not this kind of behavior, but she does not seem happy. I'll know more when she's out of her broody trance, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has seen what they interpreted as atypical signs of pain or discomfort.

Mostly, I am concerned about a lot of dustbathing and preening, head-shaking, some odd noises (little yells, apart from the broody cluck)
I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Have you checked her for lice/mites? The head shaking, dust bathing and preening makes me think something is bothering her. Could be buffalo gnats as well - those can be terrible in certain areas of the country.

As for odd noises - if you can get a video of them? For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Have you checked her for lice/mites? The head shaking, dust bathing and preening makes me think something is bothering her. Could be buffalo gnats as well - those can be terrible in certain areas of the country.

As for odd noises - if you can get a video of them? For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.
Thanks, I will check for lice/mites, but parasites are generally not as big an issue in Colorado as in other parts of the country, and the whole flock would likely have them if she does. Still, a good observation. I hope to have her broken of her broodiness soon; then I will have a better idea of what was related to that, and what, possibly to something else. Right now, I haven't the energy to treat this hen for one more thing, and am ready to let her go, if that's the direction she's headed. Just don't want her to suffer needlessly.Thanks for responding.

In my experiences crops problems are indicative of other internal problems that keep the crop from emptying in a sufficient manner. I personally have had no luck fixing a crop problem long term.

Thanks, I will check for lice/mites, but parasites are generally not as big an issue in Colorado as in other parts of the country, and the whole flock would likely have them if she does. Still, a good observation. I hope to have her broken of her broodiness soon; then I will have a better idea of what was related to that, and what, possibly to something else. Right now, I haven't the energy to treat this hen for one more thing, and am ready to let her go, if that's the direction she's headed. Just don't want her to suffer needlessly.Thanks for responding.
Ah, I see. Well, maybe it's time that you let her go.

In my experiences crops problems are indicative of other internal problems that keep the crop from emptying in a sufficient manner. I personally have had no luck fixing a crop problem long term.
I've heard that from others and experienced it with one hen previously. I've done all I can for this hen (thanks, TwoCrows!), and the hard spot in her lower crop - -which both I and the vet felt -- suggests cancer or something that won't resolve. I'm in that space with her now where I'm watching for quality of life concerns -- which broodiness obscures. Thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom