auction ducklings need help (update pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaclyn528, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Jaclyn528

Jaclyn528 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Went to a livestock auction yesterday just to look around( isn't that how it always starts) and left with 5 sick looking runner ducklings.Not sure maybe around 3 weeks old??I felt so bad for them felt i had to help.I am keeping them seperate from my other birds.They are so skinny but i can't get them to eat anything,and are drinking very little.They are missing alot of feathers and fall over frequently then have trouble getting up.One has a bad leg.It moves around on its belly dragging the leg behind it.doesn't seem to be in any pain.Is their anything i can do to help them start eating?and any suggestions on the leg issue??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Vitamins, stat! Also some brewer's yeast can help with niacin deficiency, something waterfowl are prone to. I'd try making them something really yummy. Mine love applesauce mixed with yoghurt. Some scrambled eggs might tempt them to eat.

3. Jaclyn528

Jaclyn528 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Thank you so much for all your advice.When you said give vitamins,what kind of vitamins do i give them and where do i get it?I have tried to give them eggs and yogert,but they so afraid of me and freak out when i get near them.

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Oh! The pictures just came through. They didn't post last night! Those pooooooor babies! I bet they've been in with chickens and pen pecked clean.

Vitamins: Poly Visol WITHOUT the iron. Just like for infants. I would also offer them Pedialyte in a waterer to help rehydrate them. Ducks dehydrate faster than other poultry.

It will take some time to win their trust. Runners are especially high strung and these clearly have not been well treated. Just place a plate of the scrambled eggs and back away. Poor babies.

I would check them all over for mites and parasites too.

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Also, make sure to keep them well quarantined and practice good biosecurity--if they have an illness or parasites you don't want your other birds getting like they are! Kudos to you for rescuing them--they look horribly maltreated! [​IMG] Keep trying to win their trust, and the yogurt, vitamins, and other goodies. As to the one with the leg, it could have been spraddle leg when it was younger and never treated properly. There's no way to fix it. I would cull if it can't walk around and feed itself. [​IMG] Good luck!

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    OMG! Those poor babies! I agree with the other advice given. It'll take some time for them to earn your trust, especially after what they've been through. We've made our runners very friendly by frequently sitting in their pen and offering them treats from our hands (takes several weeks). Best to squat and stay low because they will freak if you stand up. And move very slowly around them. They love tomatoes and peas!

Best of luck - please keep us posted!

7. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't have any advice to add but just had to say Thanks for rescuing those poor babies [​IMG] After they get better you'll probably have some devoted little duckies!

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    where are you from? are livestock auctions wont even let somethin like that through.
    well i hope they pull through, but they sure are in rough shape

9. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    wow! That is so sad! You did what I would've - and it'll probably cost you [​IMG]
    Hopefully it's just a vitamin thing.
    Unbelievable how someone would even bring crittters THEY had raised to a public place, like, "Look - I raised these - want to buy them?" I am left completely baffled.

10. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:Also - extra B vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by