auction ettiquette question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muzzles&nuzzles, Sep 4, 2009.

1. muzzles&nuzzles

muzzles&nuzzles Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    MI
    If you bid on an egg auction and it lists 12 eggs in certain colors then what do you expect to receive? I ask because I received 15 eggs. Four of the eggs were a color that wasn't advertised. I don't have that color and I really didn't want it. I also got only one egg of a color I did want.
    I realize I should be happy I got three extra, and I am. I realize you can only send what the chickens lay. BUT, I only keep certain colors and my birds are seperated by colors. So I have to either sell/give away this extra color or make an extra pen for it. See my dilemma? (When I had one pen and didn't care what was in it I wouldn't have cared and would have been thrilled with whatever I got.)

The person didn't email me and tell me that only certain colors layed and did I care if I got a different color etc.

I emailed and let the person know what the fertility rate was and what hatched and how happy I was that so many hatched and they didn't respond. I thought the entire exchange was strange.
    So, how would ya'll feel if you were in my position?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I think it's wrong to advertise 12 eggs of certain colors, then to only ship 11 of them. And to throw in 4 extra that are not any of those advertised colors would really peeve me, though I no others will feel otherwise. It just means lots more money and time spent to keep a whole new breed.

I swear I'll never do Eggbid. I hear so many bad things on here, what's up with the sellers on there??????

So what did the 4 other eggs hatch out as?

3. muzzles&nuzzles

Jun 17, 2009
    MI
    I was supposed to get cuckoo, blue, black, splash, and white silkies. Out of the 15, 4 were buffs, and I only got one cuckoo. I don't have cuckoo's either but I was happy I got one.

What I ended up with is two or three whites, a blue and a cuckoo and a buff. I thought one was a splash but it looks white now. I had a little black but it died because the stuffed animal I had in the brooder had a pocket in it and I didn't realize it and the black crawled in there and died. (In a matter of hours) I had a buff that the chickens rejected when it was born. They pecked it and I thought it would live but it didn't.

One blue never pipped but developed. I am not sure why it died in the shell. One buff half hatched but when I went back to check..it was dead. I had to work on pipping day so I had my 15 year old checking on it and she was too scared to help it out. It shouldn't have died because it was half out of the shell but it did. I would have put it in the brooder to hatch and helped it but she didn't.
    So 10 out of 15 eggs developed. I thought that was ok for shipped eggs.

They are so dang cute though!

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    So you are still without a black and splash. It figures!

Well now you have reason to buy more eggs! (from someone else?)

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I had one come out of the shell this spring and die. I don't think it strange. It came in the mail too but you had a more successful hatch then I did.

If I didn't get what I paid for I'd chalk it up as experience and know now that "buyer beware."

I'm sure there are plenty of people that are trust worthy here... it's about doing your homework and researching them I suppose. Go with the people you know have positive remarks.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Blue black and splash are often kept in the same pen, so it's very likely that you will only get one or two of the colors from this breeding. I ordered some eggs from a person that the parent birds were both blue. I know that the possibility of getting a blue bird from a blue to blue breeding is slim, but I was hoping! Nope, I got a black [​IMG] It's just kind of hit-and-miss with those 3 colors.

7. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Some sellers have no shame! [​IMG] I bought from a seller on ebay that had a real pretty page, advertised full blooded ameraucanas! (Had pictures and everything) 12 + eggs was the advertised deal. When I received my eggs, they were packed in a regular egg carton (no padding) the box rattled with the eggs when my mailman handed them to me! I got that queezy feeling in my gizzard all of a sudden! When I opened the box, 2 were broken, there were only 12 eggs, 7 were blue-ish, 4 were brown, 1 was white. Yep you guessed it, 2 of the blue-ish eggs were the ones broken. I emailed several times with no response. I put the rest in the bator... 1 rotted in a couple of days, and none of the others developed. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that he wasn't selling on ebay anymore. [​IMG] I feel your pain!
    Half of over 100 chickens and all of over 300 quail out in my yard came from eggs bought on ebay!! I guess you have to take the good with the bad... [​IMG]

8. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I too feel your pain. I've had good and very poor hatches from eBay eggs, and some of the eBayers are on here too. Some were perfectly packaged, some not. I also had a great hatch, I mean almost perfect, ordered 6 eggs, got a dozen and hatched out 7. But of the 7, 3 were Silkies with white beaks! They look like decent silkies otherwise, but the eggs were marked silkie crosses. So the extra eggs were crosses. Now, I have hatched them, fed them and now must cull them. But who could cull a silkie unless it was absolutely necessary. My culling will be to give to my mom and they will die of being over fed and petted to death. So, it works out, but I'd much rather had 7 real silkies. [​IMG] How could I leave negative feedback though, they were clearly marked silkie X, so I had a choice not to hatch them. [​IMG] Oh well, caveat emporer, buyer beware.

9. muzzles&nuzzles

Jun 17, 2009
    MI
    After these hatched I just bought birds. Good birds from a good breeder. [​IMG]

I bought eggs twice from good breeders. Low fertility rate and they were all roos, and the other was just low fertility rate. I ordered in summer though so I took the risk. Packaging was great. Live and learn. It wasn't the breeders' fault.

These eggs were packaged good and fertility was good. Just not all the right colors.

I have only hatched one splash..ever and it died. All the rest were blues. That is from splash roo to black blue and splash hens..and then I bred a blue roo to the girls and got a blue again. LOL

The partridge girls seem to give me lots of babies though.

I have a lot of problems leaving feedback on ebay. It is easier now because the sellers can't see what stars you give them. Most of my ebay buying has been good though. I save the sellers I like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by