Auction every Monday night in Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by seagullplayer, Jan 8, 2008.

1. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    There is a sale here every Monday; it has been going on for years. When it’s nice weather there can be a pretty big crowd.
    If you don’t see the chickens, ask someone, they are around back.

Mitchell, Indiana 6:30 pm

http://www.auctionsinindiana.com/redbarn.htm

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering if that was still going on...I think the last time i was there the auctions were on Thursdays? Cant really remember but was wanting to say wed. or thurs. Thanks for the info!

Thats about a 45 min cross country drive for me but it always interesting in some of the stuff that comes there up for auction.

3. wyldehorses

wyldehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Kentucky
    Do they also auction poultry, or do they just set up for sales? I need to thin down a little, but don't want to sit in the cold and then risk having to take them home. If it's close enough to Louisville, I might give it a try.

Yolonda

4. seagullplayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They auction everything, save maybe some Amish bread.

They have at least two auctions going on at one time.
    I think the house takes %21.

I work in New Albany, I am looking for some more birds.
    Maybe you could PM me what you have. I'm looking for brown egg layers, close to or laying.

I have been going to this barn on and off for about ten years, the live stock sale has always been on Monday night. But they use to have "junk" auctions on other days of the week...

5. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I was way off...I talked to my Dad about that auction and he set me straight it was Monday's that we went. Last time i went and again its been a while, i can recall seeing about 40-50 cages of birds being auctioned off.
    As for a trip from Louisville, Im 45 mins east from Mitchell and about 25 mins north of louisville...if that helps.
    Direction wise, go north to Exit 7 off of i-65 follow it all way out to salem...Go through salem and go north on 37 up the road a ways on the left side of 37....Thats about right, aint it seagull?

6. seagullplayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That sounds about right. The easiest and prehaps shortest way from Louisville, is to take Interstate 64 west to the 37 North Exit, then travel north on 37 till you hit Mitchell.

Once you pass the KFC in Mitchell, it's about 2 miles on the left.

(I went up last night, it was pretty cold, no one brought any chickens or rabbits to sell.)
    My wife and I only stayed about 10 minutes.

If I was going to make a long trip, I would wait for a little warmer weather, I bought my birds two weeks ago, but it was about 50 F.

7. Pinsprings

Pinsprings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I sent all of my big roosters there this past fall and they brought $2.50 each and that was on a good night, the weather was nice and warm. They say no one will buy chickens there if it is raining or cold.

8. wyldehorses

Apr 12, 2007
    Kentucky
    It sounds like any other auction. All the horse auctions I've been to on cold rainy days have had the worst prices. I was looking for an outlet for birds I don't need. And I don't really like setting up at swap meets. I get attached when I raise something and I can't keep everything, so I just want to get it over with and go home.

Yolonda

9. seagullplayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Not many people will clean a bird these days, Roosters are not worth much around here.

I have bought a handfull of hens more than once and the person would just give you a rooster or three...[​IMG]

Mitchell is a much better place to buy than sell...

10. wyldehorses

Apr 12, 2007
    Kentucky
    That's sort of what I was expecting. But I do like auctions. I still go to the Shepardsvlle or Sligo auctions every once in a while. Just something to do to get out of the house. Most of the hobbies I have don't involve groups so it's something to do.

Yolonda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by