1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Auction

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Loveshisbirds, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Loveshisbirds

Loveshisbirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    I have a question i was considering going to a Livestock Auction Tonight in new york who thinks it would be okay to purchase hens from there?

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I have purchased birds from auctions before. Just look at them carefully, listen for breathing, pick them up and look them over before buying them.

THEN when getting them home, make sure to keep them seperated/quarintined from your other birds for a while (they say a month) until you are sure they are okay.

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Check their vent area also for anything out of the ordinary-abnormally swollen, runny poop on tail etc. ANd check legs for scaly mites.

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I've bought birds from an auction before and have had no problems. Just inspect the bird carefully, the auction staff will usually allow you to check out the animals before the auction starts. Just as a precaution before introducing the new birds to your flock you might want to treat them for parasites and quaranteen them for about 2 weeks so you don't spread any mites/lice/worms to your flock. By the way were are you located in NY? I'm in southern Washington county an hours drive north of Albany, I'm always looking for good auctions. I go to Town and Country Auction in Schuylerville NY once in a while, but usually just to get rid of some extra pullets or roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by