1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Auctioneer Said Araucana - But is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kyzmette, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    This gorgeous boy was last bird up at a local poultry auction. The auctioneer said he's Araucana, but I wouldn't have a clue. I just know he's beautiful and nobody wanted him, so I got him for $4.50. I know the pose won't make it easy, but I wasn't expecting to bring home another roo, so I have to build another isolation pen before I can let him run free. Any idea of breed?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like an Easter Egger (Araucana or Ameraucana mix) to me, but he is definitely good looking.

3. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    That's an EE see the greenish legs and coloring is EE an Aracuna would be rumpless pretty roo though :)

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Araucuna**

5. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    That was my thinking. He may have Araucana in his recent lineage, but there's something else there, too.

Won't matter, because while I was checking him for health problems, he was so laid back we ended up sitting and watching tv together. And while I was petting him, he was making this little growly noise like a chicken would if it could purr. So weird. I picked him up with a friend in mind, because she wants to build an EE flock, but I think this guy is staying right here.

Thanks tons!

6. carriebain

carriebain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    He is so beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by