Auctions and selling on BYC

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Arielle, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Perhaps there is already a thread someone can direct me too about the particulars on participating in the auctions.

I've read the stickies and I'm just MORE confused.

WHat exactly is the behavior/event that results in warnings and possibly banning.?

Am I allowed to contact a breeder who doesn't have any birds/eggs up for auction and arrange a sale without going thru a formal auction??

Must every sale be a posted auction? If yes, why there are so many comments saying PM me about a sale, which contradicts the above edicts?

I feel hopelessly lost here; and afraid that I am doing something wrong while trying to follow the rules, that I will get banned before I do much buying or selling.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Speckled Hen, Sorry I'm still confused on these points. I can be slow to get it; but I'm trainable. LOL

Am I allowed to contact a breeder who doesn't have any birds/eggs up for auction and arrange a sale without going thru a formal auction??
    Of course, you may.

I have contacted breeders to buy eggs and they are afraid of being banned; so posted an auction rather than conduct a private sale for fear of being banned.

Must every sale be a posted auction? If yes, why there are so many comments saying PM me about a sale, which contradicts the above edicts?

Yes, it must be in the BSA section and can be a Buy It Now. If you see someone who says PM me, don't bid, report them. It is a violation of the system. We don't see every thread, every post, and count on our members to help us with that.

Sorry, I don't think I communicated this well.

In general postings, not in BSA section, people with eggs to sell openly talk about having eggs to sell or to PM for a complete list. Is this ok?

I love BYC and would like to participate more in selling/buying eggs; just want to be doing it correctly.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, I'm afraid Speckledhen made a typo! Auctions in BSA can NOT be "buy it now." That's why she said you need to report it if someone says, don't bid.

Of course, you may.

I have contacted breeders to buy eggs and they are afraid of being banned; so posted an auction rather than conduct a private sale for fear of being banned.

There is nothing wrong with private sales that do not go through the BSA section. The BSA rules have to do with the BSA section, only. Of course, if the sale goes through our auction system, the buyer and seller both have the option of posting feedback, so I would think some sellers would prefer to make an auction in order to get the positive feedback.

In general postings, not in BSA section, people with eggs to sell openly talk about having eggs to sell or to PM for a complete list. Is this ok?

It is against our rules to post about anything for sale outside the BSA section. When you see a post in another section talking about having eggs for sale, the post should be reported, not responded to. The person who made the post is the one who violated our rules.

We do allow members to have a link in their siggy line to their personal website, from which they sell eggs and such. But it must be an individual website and should not link to another auction website. It should also contain a link to BYC.​

5. speckledhen

Judy, there is the option to BuyItNow. [​IMG] It's an option on every auction. That isn't the same as "PM me, don't bid." You click which you want to do, Auction or Buy It Now, on every one. I've used it many times. Go and start to post an auction, just don't follow through, and you'll see what I mean.

No idea where they got that idea. They're mistaken.​

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Then there's the Crazy 24 hour auction. In the Chickenstock section.

7. speckledhen

Quote:Those no longer exist since the new BSA system is in place. Both are closed. There are swaps and egg chains, not the same as auctions. And though there is apparently a new one, I think it was to post links to only 24 hour limit auctions in the BSA area.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I'm so sorry. Definitely my bad.

9. speckledhen

No problem! You haven't used the system so didn't realize it was that way.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    And you can see why I am so confused ! [​IMG]

Actually, thanks ladies, I understand a bit more now; still a little foggy on some aspects but willing to try buying/selling even if a reprimand sets me straight, at least it's not being banned.

Thank you all very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by