AUGH my babies won't stop cheeping!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknhawaii, May 24, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok...they are warm, they have food, and they have water...is it possible they're just lonely?! Yet when we hold them they eventually start cheeping loud again! [​IMG] It's stressful not knowing what they need/want!

2. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    I am thinking you are wishing they would quiet down at night so you can sleep. We changed our light to a red light at night and that seems to let them know it is time to sleep. Give it a try.
    Night night
    Tink

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    That's a good idea ~ I'll try that tomorrow night! [​IMG]

It's still early here (9:53pm right now) and they've finally quieted down after settling. I am hoping they don't have to do that every night lol!

4. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    They are kinda like human babies. You have to teach them when it is time to go to bed! If you have trouble finding a red heat lamp, we used a red flood light. Worked great!
    Good luck Tink

5. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I've also noticed with my new babies that if we humans (or the dog) are staring at them, they are louder as a group then if they are doing their own "thing". All except for 1 - he chatters all the time - that's my runt.

Louella

6. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

I would recheck all the things you have listed.. i feel that if they are safe, warm and full they will not cheep..
    When I was newer at this, I had that problem often.. would curse at them and threaten to throw them out the window or fireplace it was me// if t hey can get away from the heat they will so ... but if they are huddled up under it and still cheeping id put a higher wattage bulb in the lamp so they would not want so close to it.. and try that..
    and water sometimes they dont know how to do it..they have to be trained how to find th e water.. i always dip their noses in it several times a day when t hey are young. at least the first day..and make it visible i put red marbles in it to get their attention.
    and i fill their bellies up (or whatever) with a batch of Ramen Noodles. they love this.. love it and it is so much fu n to watch.. i cut them up in tiny peices and they go to town.. this is my way of teaching them to eat sooner. t hey will attack that stuff like candy.
    ive been doing that for years and have not to my knowledge lost a single chick from it.. and too my chicks grow much faster than the momma chicks..
    last hatch i had eggs under a momma that had 4 days to go after the first ones and i had to take the eggs out and hatch them in my incubator momma had four and i had four and mine were 4 days younger than the first ones.. mine were much larger and smarter than hers.. yep..hahah when their bellies are full they go to sleep... solid
    the only difference was the ramen noodles now i make sure my babies get the nooodles soon after hatch..

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Our red light works well, they react to the white lights I put on to simulate the daylight and become louder and more social. When I want them to 'roost' for the night, I leave the red light on, only.

Another way to calm them when you pick them up is to cowl their heads gently so they think they're under a 'wing'. The cheeping you're hearing is likely a stress call.

Another way to encourage them to drink on the first day is to wiggle your finger in the water, let them drink from the tip and lead them to it and wait until each one drinks before working with another.

[​IMG]

8. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Well all the Time I had My chicks (Now their grown) I kept them under a red heat lamp its pretty warm under there. Also If You keep them in a basement or Garage The quite Might settle them down.SAWDUST!!! They Love That stuff Thy will Make Beds IN the sawdust. Also To help mine go to sleep i would slowy move back and forth under their chin. And Talk to Them very Quitly Now Their older in the coop i still do that *bang* their dead asleep

9. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:how many do you have? and how much time do you have? wow...
    !

10. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Some chicks are just noisier than others, I guess. My first batch of chicks were so-o-o loud, chirping all day long, although they did sleep quietly at night. There were 42 of them plus there ended up being 7 boys in there so I don't know if that made a difference.

The 12 chicks that I got the other day (all pullets) are so quiet I am amazed!! I was wondering if it was just the personality of "these" chicks or maybe it's because there is no testosterone [​IMG] floating around in the brooder this time that makes them so quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by