Augh!! Suicide chickens?? the up date!!

the1honeycomb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Yadkinville NC-3yrs
I have a large coop and run the coop is covered and clean, the run is not covered but pretty clean. . . when it rains there is an area that gets muddy. My leghorns lay in the mud and then pluck their chest feathers out!!! The rooster is now drooling, and panting very hard. none of the other chickens do this I have wormed them, checked for mites, seven dusted the entire coop and run all the other birds are fine but the leghorns all three of them are doing this weird thing!!!!!
Should I cull them I don't know what the problem is I lost one a week ago but her chest was completely eaten away!! the others seem fine
VERY Confused!!
he.gif
idunno.gif
:he

the birds are indeed Cornish crosses!! they are HUGE!!
I transported one to a friends house and he almost had a heart attack on the way!!
She will come get the rest of them I do not eat my birds. They on the other hand do and I am ok with that.
The rooster has to be more than 12-15 lbs and the hens are not far behind. I know the food will last longer when they
have been sent to meet the pot.
thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
they are getting flock raiser but they have been on it for a while.
I also give them sunflower seeds, gravel, and treats of bread, and raisons
only the leghorns are having this trouble
and very lethargic

I thought maybe but the coop and run are soo ventilated and under a tree so they have lots of shade, the waterer is hooked up to the well so the water is always cool.
and I let them free range when I am home!!
The roo just went to get water and stuck his whole head in the dish!

that is so odd! It sounds like they have plenty of shade and ventilation, but they are acting like they are too hot, try putting a block of ice in there and see if they sit by it.

Back
Top Bottom