August 2 - Setting eggs today ... anyone else?

brandoncakes

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Kailua, HI
Went to the feed store yesterday to get some feed for my little cochin(and a water dish that hooks on the side of the cage, since he tries to flip it over everyday), and sitting on the counter next to the door were open cartons of green, blue, tinted, and dark brown hatching eggs for sale. After a good 15 minutes of thought, I snatched up a dozen eggs (of course I chose the one with the most dark brown eggs, and of course each one only had 1-3 dark brown eggs..ugh). The guy said they were Ameraucana (I'm sure they're Easter Egger since I saw an ad in the feed section for Ameraucana/Cuckoo Marans and they looked Easter Egger to me - plus the eggs are mint and light turquoise), Cuckoo Marans, and a mystery tinted egg that could either be Buff "Pompom" (I'm sure he meant polish) or Black Australorp. Anyone know if Polish and Australorps lay the same size egg? I remember my Polish chickens laying a small egg. I tried to get him to resort the cartons so I had more Marans eggs, but he said he sorted it that way for everyone to get a little of everything. Talk about "little!" I was happy either way tho. This, however, meant I need to journey to find a thermometer for my thermometerless incubator(since they didn't have any), plus probably cancel a few events I need to attend in September incase they hatch.

Just so everyone knows, hardware stores do not carry thermometers. I thought they'd carry some kind of electronic/digital/easy-read thermometer, but they dont! I don't know why I didn't check a pet shop first, hardware was just my first suggestion. Luckily there was a Petco next to the last hardware store we tried. I ended up getting a Reptile House thermometer and humidity reader, since pet stores never carry chicken/farm supplies. Once we got home, I set up the 'bator. I had the toughest time getting the temperature to stay at 100.5, but after 2 long hours I got it to stay. I let it run overnight and was so excited to wake this morning to it STILL being at 100.5! I set them this morning at 8. I'm thinking about going back to the feed store and getting the automatic turner.

Anyone else setting eggs today?

Tuesday August 2, 2011
8:00 am
12 EGGS:
3 Cuckoo Marans
1 Mystery Egg
8 Easter Eggers

Day_01.jpg

Yeah, I am too but not because I really want to this time of year. I have a BSL who is a year and a half old and has suddenly decided she wants to be a mommy for the first time. I've given her close to a week to see if she's serious and she seems committed so I'm picking up some fertile eggs for her this evening.

set about 43 last night made a quick trip to Okiehens house and a stop by a neighbors house to pick up a few more and then popped them in the incubator...

Yay to hatching buddies!!! Post your updates :eek:) Wish I could do it the broody way, but I don't think my 14 week old Cochin cockeral will sit on them haha!

Just set a dozen eggs, half of which are green and will now keep my fingers crossed to see if the hen will actually sit on them. The place she had chosen to sit was 6' off the ground AND the favorite nest box so the rest of the hens were continuing to crowd in and lay their eggs there. I didn't want chicks hatching so high and didn't want the rest of the hens adding eggs to her clutch so I moved her to a segregated location and put the fertile eggs under her. I'm hoping the move doesn't make her give up altogether after all my hard work tonight.
fl.gif

I set some yesterday and am going to be setting more later today... Mine got lost in transit and were being tossed around for 6 days so we will see. I doubt I will get anything.

Back
Top Bottom