August 7th Hatch-along!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Chase, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    I'm getting the incubator regulated and will be placing eggs this weekend - anyone along for the ride? This will be my first batch of chicken eggs and a test run before ordering hatching eggs online.

Hydrometer calibrated - CHECK(6 points low)
    Thermometers placed - CHECK (3 of them)
    Turner installed - CHECK
    Temperature regulated - not yet... have it at 100 degrees mid-egg, now mapping for any highs and lows.

2. XxB0rd3rsxX10

XxB0rd3rsxX10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    im in, i just put 5 polish eggs in to my incubator this morning. im also getting more in 2 days so ours should hatch around the same time (August 4th and 6th) hopefuly they will all make it lol [​IMG]
    this is also my first hatch (not counting my last one since my dog got into the incubator)
    good luck [​IMG]

3. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Temperature just about set - 99 degrees but I want it a bump higher. With no water in the 'bator humidity is 41%

4. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I just put 7 eggs in yesterday. I bought the brinsea mini advance and it only holds 7 eggs. Well I ordered 12 in case some came broken and then they sent me two extras. My question is this. I did not want to waste the eggs so I bought a bigger incubator. Should I just put the remaining 7 in the new incubator when I get it Monday....or should I put the 7 news eggs and the 7 started eggs in the same larger incubator? Can you put eggs in with eggs that have started for 4 or 5 days??

5. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    well, you've got two options. Either mark the new eggs and put them all in the big bator, then move the other eggs to the smaller for hatching, or keep the two batches separate. I would not have all the eggs in the large bator and leave them there for hatching.

6. audrey02026

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    So you think I should use the big one for incubation and then put them in the small one for hatching? What is more than 7 are ready to hatch...should I just leave those in the big one?

7. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Picked up some sexlink red X BR eggs and am adding a dozen of my parent's eggs - the rooster is 10 years old so who knows... those chicks will be EE X RIR, RIR and BR x RIR -if they hatch. Heading to the 'bator NOW!

8. audrey02026

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by