August Hatch-A-Long

Pics

Rockporters

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
New Hampshire
We finished our last hatch for July over the weekend. Now, on to August! :yesss: What is everyone hatching/planning to hatch in August?

We got a good deal on a used GQF Electronic Sportsman 1502 over the wknd. This is our first cabinet incubator, so we are pretty excited to give it a go. I set 69 eggs last night, which is a lot for us. It didn’t even take up a full 2 trays, and they easily fit in a single layer on 1 shelf. In hindsight, a cabinet incubator might be overkill for us LOL! Here is our August so far:

8/5 hatch date:
  • 24 Silkie (white) eggs from Karen Larson at Catdance Silkies
  • 36 Ebay “rare” eggs from Foxfire Farms (Isbar, CCL, Blue Maran, Maran, Pavlovskya, Golden Spitzhauben, Silver Spitzhauben, Icelandics, Ayam Cemani, Deathlayer)

8/9 Hatch Date:
  • 12+ Silkie eggs (BBS and Buff) from Magnolia Silkies.
2AB93BC6-63D6-4211-95C7-0B44DD426492.jpeg

34494278-3C02-43AE-B90A-250931E7E189.jpeg

06FBC153-8327-4381-8791-56F132C85162.jpeg

In hindsight, a cabinet incubator might be overkill for us LOL!

A guy who lives near me offers to hatch eggs for free in exchange for half the chicks hatched. You can use that large incubator to acquire a variety of different breeds. However from the looks of his Craigslist ad he is struggling to sell all the chicks he hatched.

Incubator Set. Thermometer and Hydrometer in place. I even slipped in an extra Serama Egg with the Bloom still drying. in the Incubator 12 Seramas, 11 Naked Necks from my Naked Neck Meat Bird Project. 5 Ayam Cemani x Red Rangers (meat bird project), and 22 Ayam Cemanis including 8 on the side that I have turn by hand. I will be rejecting a lot of infertile eggs or dead embryos on day 10 and those are my replacements. In the picture above you only saw 7 on the side but a Serama egg was laid just before I came in to set the incubator so there is one more egg in there now. If the Naked Neck meat bird project has any eggs in the next couple of hours I will add those too. Hatch day set August 12 and at that point the days will be getting shorter at a semi rapid pace and I will be able to close coops sooner and get more much needed sleep.

Back
Top Bottom